• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A few of us older guys will get this…

Memories, memories of blowing up my models with firecrackers & lighter fluid after I built em’. lol
Man we did that too!
There was a street up from the one I grew up on that had a steep hill, all us neighborhood kids would bring all kind of stuff on that hill, models, toys, you name it, we'd fill em full of gas or lighter fluid and firecrackers, light em and push em then run like hell!
Man that brings back some memories!

That's for the younger guys, the older guys has balsa wood strips. tissue paper, dope and rubber band motors --

Yes we do.

20201004_134936.jpg

Okay just1more, now show us the decal sheet that came with your extra big kit!

I know the P-51 gets a lot of the praise but I have a larger appreciation for the
P-47 Thunderbolt. Not as pretty but what a workhorse and tough as an anvil.
Maybe it's the radial engines since also favor the F6F Hellcat.

Still have one model kit, a gift from Pop'sgarage after I had told him about
Mr. Majestyk's flying F100. The model kit is a 1978 Ford 4x4 Pickup by AMT.
Still has plastic wrapper, Afraid to open it now after seeing on Antique Roadshow
everything depreciates soon as box is opened. Plus I'm sure my manual dexterity
is a lot worse now than at 14 y/o. (Not to mention eye sight) Hate to mess it up.
Interestingly the image on the box has square headlights which iirc came out on
the 1979 Ford P/U. 1978 had same grille and grille shell but the headlight doors
were made for round sealed beams.
Funny how it's easier to remember stuff from back then vs what happened 3 weeks ago.

I had issues when it came to building model cars. I would start out making everything absolutely perfect. Every detail on my engines and frames would be crisp and there wouldn't be a brush mark in any of the paint. About the time I would get to step 6 or 7 things would start going sideways. I'd get anxious to see it complete and start to rush things. Next thing you know I would have left a glue fingerprint somewhere or I'd start piling on too much paint too quickly, then I'd break a piece of trim or scratch a window trying to clean the little nubs off. From 3 or 4 feet they still looked okay but could never seem to finish with the same attention to detail as I would start with.
Wish I had a $ for every balsa wing I sliced in two trying to rush the finish and see her fly. Surprised I didn't lose a finger or two with that X-acto knife :shocked:.

Man we did that too!
There was a street up from the one I grew up on that had a steep hill, all us neighborhood kids would bring all kind of stuff on that hill, models, toys, you name it, we'd fill em full of gas or lighter fluid and firecrackers, light em and push em then run like hell!
Man that brings back some memories!
We have a hill in Newnan on Dixon St. we called “Thrill Hill.” I had probably my worst bicycle wreck as a kid in the 60’s when I hit a bump or something close to the bottom of the hill and it sent me and the bike into a tree, me first and then the bike hit me and bounced me off the tree again! That one hurt for a couple of weeks. Lol!

Eta; My Mother-in-law still lives only about two blocks from thrill hill, my own two sons have challenged that same hill too back in the 80’s. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom