• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A few of us older guys will get this…

I had issues when it came to building model cars. I would start out making everything absolutely perfect. Every detail on my engines and frames would be crisp and there wouldn't be a brush mark in any of the paint. About the time I would get to step 6 or 7 things would start going sideways. I'd get anxious to see it complete and start to rush things. Next thing you know I would have left a glue fingerprint somewhere or I'd start piling on too much paint too quickly, then I'd break a piece of trim or scratch a window trying to clean the little nubs off. From 3 or 4 feet they still looked okay but could never seem to finish with the same attention to detail as I would start with.

Very cool. Glad I started this thread to find out I’m not the only one with the interests
When my first wife died she had an original unassembled Star Trek Enterprise still in the box. That was mid 97. That was also when I quickly learned that either comics, sci fi collectibles,sports cards, etc were NOT worth what we all thought they were OR the collectible shop owners were just trying to break it off in the rest of us.

I had issues when it came to building model cars. I would start out making everything absolutely perfect. Every detail on my engines and frames would be crisp and there wouldn't be a brush mark in any of the paint. About the time I would get to step 6 or 7 things would start going sideways. I'd get anxious to see it complete and start to rush things. Next thing you know I would have left a glue fingerprint somewhere or I'd start piling on too much paint too quickly, then I'd break a piece of trim or scratch a window trying to clean the little nubs off. From 3 or 4 feet they still looked okay but could never seem to finish with the same attention to detail as I would start with.
That's what happens to me when I try to refinish old rifle and shotgun stocks. I just can't leave **** alone like I'm supposed to.

I hadn't put a model together since I was probably 10 or 11 and I'll be 59 next month.
Wife asked me to go by Hobby Lobby about a month ago to get her mom something and as I was looking for it I happened to go down the isle with the models.
They had a Revell P51 Mustang 1/48 kit that caught my eye since my dad was in WW2.
Long story short I wound up getting it, all the paints, tools and supplies I needed and now I'm back into models, War planes at least.
Got that one put together and now working on a Vought Corsair F4U4 1/32 kit.
I'm really enjoying picking the hobby back up from nearly 50 years ago.
Quick story about P51 Mustangs. A buddy of mine had a brother in law that purchased several back in the early 90s. He (my buddy) had pulled a car over and was just letting the driver leave when I pulled up behind his police car to back him up. We met in between our cars and he said ”Mike called me a few minutes ago and asked where I was, so I told him, and he told me not to go anywhere, he would be here in a few.” So, we stood there chatting and suddenly heard a LOUD rumbling coming towards us. We looked up and saw a Mustang just over the tree tops. He had just taken off from their family airstrip a few miles away and was headed to a bigger airport. When he got directly over us, he suddenly shot upwards, then leveled out and headed to the other airport. It was the second coolest thing I’d seen an airplane do. I said “He knows how to make an entrance!” I’ll never forget how loud it was when he went directly over us.

The last one I assembled, back when I was 10 or 11

Attachments

• IMG_5824.JPG
    IMG_5824.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom