• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

7.62x40, Anyone load it?

CraigMo

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
54   0
Reaction score
I'm just curious how the re-sizing 5.56 goes. Seems like it would be a lot of stress on the neck.

Sounds like a neat cartridge. Swap the barrel or upper and shoot 110gr .308 using 5.56 brass, bcg and magazine.

Not too bad . Brass really gives and i always used once fired brass. Un cut the neck off right below the 223 neck. Then form with 300 dies then trim. Use alot of lube when forming. I haven't had any issues so far with resizing lake city brass. Alot of work but worth it since its hard to get ammo. The trimming and cutting is the most time consuming. I can usually do about 100 rounds a night. I have a jig set up to cut with a cutoff saw. I made the jig out of tool steel which u put the casing down in then chop neck of casing with a chop saw. Push it out and put another in and chop again. Pretty quick. Im using the 110 barnes and 125 nosler bt for hunting. Great little round.

I was thinking something like a shellholder (or QR clamp on two blocks of wood) with some undersized holes in it, and forstner bit in a drill press for the rough cutting. Don't have a metal cutoff saw, other than a bit for my jig-saw.

U can also use a 1 inch high speed belt sander which I use sometimes at work but gets brass hot which I don't like but the cut off saw at harbour freight is the best deal. and works great and its cheap. U can make one out of wood too just as long as u dont cut too much off. U want it as close as u can and by the time u resize u won't have to trim as much. I had to keep drilling my bloc deeper till I got it the right depth so its not as consuming in the trimming to length. Plus its fun to make your own and not pay the prices everyone else wants for the catridge. But even know its getting crazy trying to get good lc brass.

I am using 223 brass that I have plenty of. To reform the brass its pretty simple. First I tumble the brass to clean it up. Then I run the 223 brass through the 300 BLK resizing die without the deprime rod.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_186135be.jpg

Then I cut the brass to the length, which is 1.368. You can do this several ways. I was going to get the Dillon tool but that is about $200 plus another $50 for the rest of the parts. I did not want to use my hand crank brass trimmer so I went high tech. Northern Mini Cut Off Saw. Gotta be the best $25 I have spent lately.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_45b9bb61.jpg

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_72f19673.jpg

Then I run the brass through the 300 BLK die one more time. But this time I put the deprime rod back in so it sizes the neck. This cleans up the edges some. If you wish you can chamfer the edges at this time. Then into the tumbler to make them look pretty... and to further smooth the cut edges.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_b6898317.jpg

I've owned a 6.8 spc for several years now. It works great, easy to buy brass, won't accidently chamber in a .223 and smokes most .223 based rounds in downrange performance.

I tried the .300 and it just didn't do it for me. I can't see this one being worth the trouble for my applications either.

Back
Top Bottom