45 colt target load

snatch3838

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Vehicle / Equipment Dealer
130   1
Reaction score
Any good recipes I just got a judge and I can't shoot the cheap bird shot at the range and I like shooting this thing. It's a 2 inch barrel so if anybody has the same
Set up that would be preferred. I currently use and or like and will buy again #7, unique, titegroup, and win 231. It would be favorable to use those. It's for paper do velocitys don't matter. And now I typed about what matters any 300 - 350 grain monster loads that will work in the standard frame I know seating won't be an issue but pressure will be.????

Unique is good in the ole workhorse cartridge. It ain't the cleanest burning, but it does deliver good accuracy. Trailboss was created to fill large case low pressure cartridges.

I replaced the flaked Unique with Universal Clays. It's very close in burn rate, meters great, delivers great accuracy, and burns more efficiently for me. Always use Universal load data, I replaced, not substituted!

As for heavy bullet standard pressure loads, I'm in the dark about those. I usually load 200-255 grain standard pressure 45 loads. Now W296/H110 will deliver some true arm twisters in a Ruger, but that's all I got for you?

Below is a screen shot and link from the Hodgdon site. Hope this helps. Double click on the screen shot, maybe it'll be large enough to read?

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Attachments

• 45 Data.JPG
    45 Data.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 21
I'm working on the same opportunity. I have a 6" Judge with 2-1/2" cylinder.
I have recommendations on cowboy loads that I will post later (when I get to the computer with the links in it!)
To start with, cowboy loads should be where you start, not the TC / Ruger loads that will be likely to be toooo Hot!!!

Here's the one I mentioned:

http://www.reloadammo.com/

Last edited:
My belief is that you are starting out in an almost impossible situation. Those big bullets require big pressure to make them accurate, and you have a short barrel which will limit the pressure you can make with a given amount of powder as compared to a longer barrel. Your gun is optimized for the 410.

Number 7 is designed for hot loads, and TiteGroup is affectionately referred to as SlightGroup when loaded light. 231 will work, but not at its best. Of the choices you gave, I would use Unique, but it is dirty.

You are in uncharted territory, not because no one ever tried it; but, because it just won't won't give good results.

I would break down and but some IMR Trail Boss and some 230 - 250 grain Lead Bullets for plinking.

I hope this helps. The Judge is a cool gun for defensive purposes--weather slithering, or walking.

Thanks 1006 I found a few unique loads. On the Internet and heard rave reviews on trail boss in 45 colt. And I'm glad you clarified the #7 I worked up a ton of loads with this and yh only good ones were heavy bullets 147 gr in 9mm 220 gr in 10mm and a few 40 cals.

Back
Top Bottom