• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 Mag for hunting

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for a good round to use with a marlin lever action. Deer, hog, maybe coyote.

My understanding is that only expandable ammo are allowed. Is that correct?

I am looking for suggestions for a good round to use with a marlin lever action. Deer, hog, maybe coyote.

My understanding is that only expandable ammo are allowed. Is that correct?

Yes, only expanding bullets allowed, regardless of weapon. Full Metal Jackets are illegal.
The Hornadys are a good round. That's what I will likely be shooting in my Ruger Carbine this year.

Thanks. The reason of my question regarding expanding bullets, is that while it was my understanding that only those are legal, I remember I have read more than one time, about people using non expanding hard cast rounds for hunting big game.

This may be a good round to shoot if the Hornadys don't work for ya.

Attachments

• 476328.jpg
    476328.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 174
Don't all lead bullets (no jacket) expand in meat and when hitting bone? Especially when fired from a rifle where the muzzle velocity may be 1700 to 1900 f.p.s. as contrasted with 1200 from a handgun?

If you want to shoot an all-lead semiwadcutter bullet, why don't you take a drill and put a little cavity in the nose of each of them. Not deep, just enough to call it a "hollow point." I'll bet a 3/16" drill bit that you let dig a 1/4" deep hole into the lead would satisfy any DNR officer who might check your ammo.
(P.S. but don't count on it really expanding like a factory -made hollowpoint would.)

Don't all lead bullets (no jacket) expand in meat and when hitting bone? Especially when fired from a rifle where the muzzle velocity may be 1700 to 1900 f.p.s. as contrasted with 1200 from a handgun?

If you want to shoot an all-lead semiwadcutter bullet, why don't you take a drill and put a little cavity in the nose of each of them. Not deep, just enough to call it a "hollow point." I'll bet a 3/16" drill bit that you let dig a 1/4" deep hole into the lead would satisfy any DNR officer who might check your ammo.
(P.S. but don't count on it really expanding like a factory -made hollowpoint would.)

All lead rounds at 1700fps+? In tough those speeds weren't really kosher with all lead projectiles?

Others my have different experiences, but once again I'd recommend JSP over Holow Points. In my limited experience with them for hunting, HPs have a higher tendency to fragment. You don't need that in a Deer round. You don't want to have to find those pieces.

So many people just think anything besides HPs are just not cool enough, so the market caters to them.

GA DNR does not ban FMJ so that you'll get better kill. It is so they do not continue straight if they pass through or ricochet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom