350 Chevy engine advice

Deaken

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
So I have a 85 GMC Jimmy that has a burnt valve, so I'm at a crossroad of do I do a valve job on the current factor heads or upgrade to a set of double hump heads/vortex/etc? It has a crate motor with ~40K on it. It had a crack in the manifold at the head of the valve that is burnt so I'm positive that is want cause it to burn the valve so needless to say a new set of manifolds or perhaps a set of headers are in order too? Now I'm not a big Chevy guy nor are any over my friends so that way I'm looking here for advice. Is it worth the extra cash to upgrade the parts or just rebuild the factory stuff? FYI I will need accessory mounts on the new heads if I go that route. Thanks in advance,

You can get the Vortec heads for $300 each. What would it cost to rebuild the old heads and have them checked and faced?

Your heads all have the same angle for the intake bolts, they all go in at the same angle. The vortex heads have the same angle on all except the 2 on each side right beside the carb, those 4 go in more straight up and down. I have put many a old model 4 bbl intake on newer engines and this is what I always done. Never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom