308 Reload

168 SMK's
42 gr IMR 4895
2.77 OAL

This is my "gold standard," it shoots very well in Remington LTR, 5R's, FN PBR, CZ 550, and AR-10(T). I get under MOA performance out of all the guns and under half MOA out of the 5R's with it.

This is a 5 shot group with a Remington 700 5R with 24" barrel.
IMG_20121026_164343.jpg

for me varget works very well on the 150 gr bullet while good old 4895 is king for 165-168 and up

I like H4895 but my brother swears by IMR

fine what you rifle likes

BTW the Berger hunting bullets are instant killers... no exit typically but you won't need it.

Varget is my choice. Depends on a few things as to load data. May want to refer to a couple books first or manufacturer data. I presently am having sub 1" accuracy with my hunting load. 150 grn hornady interlock over 43.2grn of varget. Set to crimp groove and run through a lee factory crimp die. Cci lrp and federal brass fl sized, trimmed and cleaned.

This is out of 16" barrel saiga

Have you ran this load over a chrony?
168 SMK's
42 gr IMR 4895
2.77 OAL

This is my "gold standard," it shoots very well in Remington LTR, 5R's, FN PBR, CZ 550, and AR-10(T). I get under MOA performance out of all the guns and under half MOA out of the 5R's with it.

View attachment 138278

I shot this today with factory 165 grain Federal Sierra Game King's/3 shot group at 100YDS. Still think I can get better with a reload.
QUOTE]

If that is what you are getting with factory ammo, I don't see any reason for you to reload, except for the pure enjoyment of creating you own.

I have used Varget for years. I have just started using CFE223 powder for my .223 loads. I have decided that I will use CFE for all of my .223 and .308 reloads, even though I have not loaded any for .308 yet. If it performs for .308 like it does for the .223, I am sure I will be happy with it. I use only Sierra 168 grain bullets for both .308 and 30.06 loads

168 SMK's
42 gr IMR 4895
2.77 OAL

View attachment 138278

Do you have a Mil-Spec 5R that I once owned? It was one of the two most accurate shooters I've owned? Because I shot it so little, I sold it back in January.

It would turn in the same performance every time I did my part. Not at all picky about what it was fed either?

I recently picked up another 5R with the 20" threaded barrel. I got a test scope put on it Friday. I think it has a B&C stock instead of the McMillan on the old one. The trigger will have to go. If it shows the potential of yours and the one I had before, it'll get another Jewell dropped in.

Going Postal,I am wanting to develop a load to cut down on the cost of factory ammo.I have just been experimenting with some factory load's to get a fill of what the gun like's before buying any any bullet's..It is a custom Remington made by Nate at Fort Daniel.I haven't found to much of any factory ammo that it doesn't shoot pretty good.The last target I posted were BTSP's.

Back
Top Bottom