• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

3 gun tips/pointers?

If you dont like glocks, and Junior_357 is recommending a CZ, I would definitely look into them. They arent much more than a Glock, and they feel great in the hand. When I am able to buy another full sized pistol, I am going to take a serious look at CZ

My responses in red:
Unfortunately no I have not had and competition experience (I do set up small courses on my property and run them, but I know that's nothing like the real thing)

I would recommend at least trying some of the action pistol matches. They are the pistol only aspect of 3 gun, but a very good way to get a feel for competition. Nothing wrong with starting out in 3 gun, but it's easier to get started with pistol only while you save up for other stuff.

Right now I want to do it for fun, but I have a feeling I will get into it (however I cannot afford to buy 3 match_grade guns right now lol)

As I said before, I am starting from the ground up, so I'm getting a new pistol, rifle and shotty

I guess the best way to go about this is to have an overall budget in mind.. it's alot easier to work with a total and break it up.
I was thinking about a 12 ga mossberg 500a persuader which has an 8+1 capacity but no choke (something I will have to fix)

For a shotgun, I'd rate the choke thing over the capacity to start with. It's a lot easier to add an extension than making a shotgun have interchangeable chokes. Also, If you're buying something, a vent rib barrel is preferrable. If I was starting out on a budget, I'd either find a used turkey gun with a 21-24" barrel that had chokes (but no porting) or get a Benelli Nova. The Novas are nice for several reasons.. they are pretty cheap when new, easy to find with chokes, easy to get extensions for and the carrier stays up when you are stuffing shells in. Basically you're buying around the barrel (VR and chokes) and the ability to add an extension. It doesn't really matter what brand as long as it meets the barrel and extension requirements.

I would like an ar for this, but it is a cost thing. As I can buy I nice ak74 and a mossberg for the same price as a half decent ar

I'll be honest, if you're buying new for 3-gun, you should count pennies towards the AR. I cannot think of anyone off the top of my head that shoots 3 gun regularly that runs an AK. It doesn't mean nobody does it, but for a few hundred more the AR is worth it.
I was hoping you wouldn't. Push me toward glocks lol I have had one in the past and just didn't like the feel of it, but if it is a must (especially for a budget) I guess ill learn to like it lol

With trade-ins and used Glocks as cheap as they are, there is no finer choice on a budget. For $400-450, you will get a pistol that will last you forever and will never hold you back. They're popular for a reason. Buy used, swap the sights and practice. There are other options out there, but it is what I would recommend.

Is there any other cheaper solutions for the rifle or will I be at a disadvantage without an ar?

As mentioned above, the AR is popular due to the inherent accuracy, ease of use, lack of recoil and modularity. There is no other rifle on the markey that offers as wide of a variety as the AR platform. I'd strongly urge you to save up for one. Once we get a budget, we can run some numbers.

And for the gear, I have heard of people making their own kydex mag holders by buying a sheet of kydex and molding it around their mags...any thoughts on that? If it works, it cuts the price from $30 to around $8 per mag holder

Having worked as a kydex maker, the tools necessary and headaches involved will wash out any price advantage. Unless it is going to become a full time production gig, it's easiest to buy once, cry once. Realistically, mag holders are $15-25 a piece. I'd just buy what works instead of constantly having to evolve what you have. That's just me.

I see you're right down the road from me.. maybe we could meet up sometime and setup some stuff so you can get an idea. Feel free to PM me about something like that.

If anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask. I've been doing this for a while and am happy to give any assistance/opinions, etc, etc.

Thanks for some great info. Here's my situation. I would like to shoot 3-Gun, but would like to use the gear that I would use in the real world. That would be an AR15 w/1to4, semi-auto 12 w/red dot and a single stack 1911 w/iron. It does not sound like there is a division this would neatly fit into. So, would I need to shoot the open class, (because of red dot on shotgun) and just suck it up on the low cap of the 1911? I have a competitive personality, but am willing to be non-competitive to work with my everyday tools.

Also, if I go to an AR10 and a pump to shoot Heavy Metal, do they all need iron?

Last edited:
Who's the major sanctioning body for 3 gun in GA? I see a match here and there from IPSC is that it?
Online resources, good schedule for the area?
Looks like great fun and a good test of gear!

Thanks

Thanks for some great info. Here's my situation. I would like to shoot 3-Gun, but would like to use the gear that I would use in the real world. That would be an AR15 w/1to4, semi-auto 12 w/red dot and a single stack 1911 w/iron. It does not sound like there is a division this would neatly fit into. So, would I need to shoot the open class, (because of red dot on shotgun) and just suck it up on the low cap of the 1911? I have a competitive personality, but am willing to be non-competitive to work with my everyday tools.

Who's the major sanctioning body for 3 gun in GA? I see a match here and there from IPSC is that it?
Thanks

I'll try to address both with one answer..

The thing with 3-gun is that there is no country-wide sanctioning body that everyone recognizes. There are two "big" rulebooks that a lot of the big matches follow, but you end up with a majority of matches being some kind of "USPSA/IMGA outlaw" match. There are set USPSA 3-gun matches at South River (quarterly) along with some of the clubs doing one every once in a while (River Bend USPSA Club just had one). These follow USPSA rules as they are USPSA clubs. The matches at Creekside and some of the other clubs have their own rules, but the limitations on equipment are similar and vary in certain procedures or scoring.

You can choose to just shoot the USPSA matches and setup everything for that rulebook, but I like to shoot anything I can manage to make time for. As long as you read ahead of time and accept what changes you may have to make, it's not hard to shoot anything with one set of equipment and minor tweaks if necessary. The absolute worst case scenario if you have say your defensive/duty setup that you don't change; is to shoot open. Even though worst case, you would be surprised at how well you CAN do against guys with balls out race guns. Don't be afraid to try it with what you have. Try it with what you've got and you'll make changes if you feel it is necessary. You may be surprised to find that the setup you've run for a long time needs a tweak because you've identified a deficiency in your setup.

Also, if I go to an AR10 and a pump to shoot Heavy Metal, do they all need iron?

Regarding heavy metal, most places require a .308, 12ga pump and .45.. all with irons. Again, it depends on where you are shooting. Check the rules ahead of time, but plan on irons. There is a debate right now at some of the bigger matches of whether to go to allowing optics on heavy rifles and semi auto shotguns.. we'll see what shakes out this year.

great topic. I took a pistol class a couple of years ago with a borrowed HK USP 45 and really enjoyed it. after spending too much time with my friends that do a lot of tactical shooting/training, I thought it might be fun to do a 3 gun someday. Over the last three years I ended up buying a used G22, an AR15 (setup for 556 and 6.8) and an FN SLP Mark I (22" 8+1). The AR has an eotech 512 on it so it looks like i'm well on the way to having the right tools but I have no other gear for the tool (i.e. slings, holsters, belts, etc). I do have a buddy that makes belts and stuff in ATL so I guess I need to go pay him a visit next time I have some extra $$$.

Jones Tactical

I guess I need to go bug some of them this fall and go watch or participate in a match and see how it goes. I think it would be fun but I have a feeling it would be addictive... :) But thanks for the responses so far it's good to see what else is needed for the matches. guess I need to find some chokes in the future.

If you dont like glocks, and Junior_357 is recommending a CZ, I would definitely look into them. They arent much more than a Glock, and they feel great in the hand. When I am able to buy another full sized pistol, I am going to take a serious look at CZ

I have a friend who competes in Production...and he uses CZ equipment. Very durable...very reliable, albeit slightly heavier than a Glock.

Let's put it this way...he's been invited to the exclusive US Nationals - if that's any indication of his abilities and his equipment's reliability. Obviously, Glocks may dominate...but they aren't the only gun in the game.

I you don't like flock look into m&ps or maybe an XD, both can be ha for the price of a flock or less. As for ARs you can get an AR flat top from CMMG, I know it's not a top of the line AR but it's an affordable start. Or you can shop aroun for parts and build one. A buddy of mine put a decent one together for under 500 by waiting for the right deals

Back
Top Bottom