22 Ammo Advice

Norbert

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
27   0
Reaction score
I recently picked up a conversion kit for my Kimber pro carry and I have a 10/22 with a Bull barrel the my daughter and I use at the range.

With all the options what would be a good choice for accuracy at the range?

Buy several and test it out is all I can tell you. Some guns tend to have a particular taste for some ammo, while others will shoot well with all ammo. I would imagine that the conversion will prefer higher velocity ammo like CCI mini mags though for functionality.

CCI Match ammo is pretty good for 100m+ accuracy.. but if you're plinking at indoor range distances, the $18 Federal 550 bricks from Wal Mart are great.

What they all said. DrSmile and my Kimber conversions eat everything. But for small groups you will need to see what your gun and wallet likes. Mine likes Wolf and Eley, but who's does'nt. One little bit of advice...... 22lr is loud, consider a silencer for it. :)

For most .22 pistols, with non-expert shooters, the ammo isn't the limiting factor. This is especially true with most conversion kits. I'd go with something inexpensive & reliable like Federal Auto-Match.

Auto-match would also be a decent plinking ammo for your 10/22. Moving up the price range it depends on what your rifle likes, but I'd try some blazer ($17/500 or so), CCI SV (Standard Velocity) ($35/500 or so) and Wolf MT ($50/500 or so) - the Wolf MT is my go-to target ammo.

When I shot matches I used to use Aguilera Match ammunition. It was a bit heavier than most .22LR rounds but flew consistent out to 100+ yards to shoot dime size groups from my anschutz. We also used an American Eagle subsonic from pistols when shooting 4-H matches that shot very consistently for paper and silhouette shooting. We found that CCI blazer rounds shot very well out of 10/22 but that can get pricey after a while. Palmetto state Armory has some good deals sometimes on Blazer ammunition bricks.

Some manufactures have issues with reliable feed and recommend plated bullets. I wouldn't load up on anything till I got it well broken in. For affordable ammo with enough umph to work a stiff spring the Federal Auto Match mentioned above works well in many pistols for me. The SK Jag or Wolf (same stuff)offerings are great affordably priced target ammo. Once you get above this price range, I don't know how much difference you'll see at normal pistol distances.

question about the conversion, as I have contemplated doing something like that for my Kimber or G17. Is there any advantage to spending the money for a conversion than purchasing a BuckMark, MKIII or Neos ?
Just the price point and then the time to swap it out seems to get me leaning towards a designated .22lr pistol for plinking. I use a MKIII for new students/beginners at my courses, but never used a conversion

Back
Top Bottom