• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2010/2011 Bow Reviews.

blazedawg87

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
198   0
Reaction score
I know not a whole lot of people bow hunt on here but i figured i would wright up a review on some of the new bows out their for the future bow hunters.

1. Bow Tech Destroyer 350/340: Of all the bows that i have got to shoot recently this one ranks up there as one of the best. Has a surprisingly smooth and even draw cycle. Is very very quite to be as fast as it is. Has a very shallow valley before you hit the wall and the wall is soft to where it doesn't hurt when you hit it but still firm to prevent over draw. The new riser design balances the bow very well with just a cheap stabilizer on it. But all this greatness comes at a high price (800-900). Right now i couldn't justify paying that for a bow so i would wait on this guy.

2. Matthews Z7 (reg and extreme): Matthews has always been known for the smoothness of their bows. But these two don't hold up to that. Many others that shoot them say they are silky smooth, but when i shot them they were not nearly as smooth as the bow techs. But don't let this scare you away from them. They are both very quite and are still very smooth bows. They are also fairly fast to be matthews. They have never been known for their speed but you can get 300ibo outta them with a 400 flatline and just 65lbs and 28in. For the price (600-700) This is also a bow i would pass on till later.

3. Strothers Vanquish: This bow had to be the biggest let down so far. I have seen so much hype about their smoothness and it was smooth, until you hit the valley. Then it shows its true color. It is horrific when you hit it. You had to crank it hard to hit the wall and when you did you hit it hard. Now even though the draw cycle sucks on, it is extremely quite. And if you can get past the draw on it this is a bow i would consider for the price (400-500).

4: Bow Tech Assassin: This. bow. is. amazing. period. Out of all mentioned above this is the bow that i would buy (price considered). It is a very smooth draw and i struggle to pull 70lb which is what the i shot was set at. But with an 80% let off, i could hold it there all day and not get the pumps. The cycle was fairly smooth, and the balance of this thing was unbeliveable. I literaly did a thumb and index hold without drawing and it was perfectly balanced. The only thing i dont like about this bow is that you can't buy it bare bow. You have to buy whats called a RAK (ready aim kill) package. But you can take the package pieces off add sell em or have back ups. At a price of 499 out the door this has to be the buy of the year.

These are the most recent and the shop didn't carry hoyts but i'm a hoyt guy so i'll be sure to shot some and add on.

I don't know about any of the other bows, but I shot a 2010 Z7 a few months ago and I gotta tell ya, for somebody with a bad back and I do mean bad, that was a surprisingly smooth bow. I have a multitude of back problems from a bulging disc to a completely destroyed disc and degenerative disc disease and osteo-arthritis, but I was able to draw and shoot one with a 27" draw length and 65# weight. I have a 2006 Mathews Switchback set at 58# and the Z7 was easier to draw than my bow. I was very surprised, I think I could probably shoot 70# with the Z7. One thing about the Mathews bows is that they are DEADLY accurate too. I've learned not to shoot at the same bullseye anymore after busting four nocks in a row! LOL! I've tried to draw back a couple of Hoyt bows set at 60 & 65# and couldn't do it, which is a real shame too cause I saw one that I wanted but I guess I'll stick with the Mathews since I can draw and shoot them with ease. I'm not dissing the other bows, I just know that if I can't pull em', I sure can't shoot em'. To me, the Mathews is well worth the money.......just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
the only problem with the one I drew back was the cabels weren't waxed and the rollers weren't lubed up. I drew a switchback before and it was crazy smooth. That's one reason I didn't try to bash the z7, is because the z7 my uncle has is crazy smooth to and he has everything lubed and waxed and its broke in a lil bit. If you want a smooth hoyt you need to draw back a katera or a trykon. The katera was the first speed bow from hoyt and it is crazy smooth to be a speed bow. I'm gonna get hoyts up as soon as I can get down to bow hunter supply or timber ghost.

Yeah, I can't remember which Hoyt I tried, but I haven't tried to pull the Katera or Trykon yet. The Z7 I shot belonged to the salesman at Gables in Newnan so it was all completely set up and everything. It would make a heck of a difference if it wasn't all set up and waxed & lubed. By the way, that was a real good review, very informative.

I just purchased a 2011 Bear Assault. I love it. Been shooting it a lot the last few days. It has the WB arrow rest, Trophy Ridge 5-pin sight with light (awesome), Trophy Ridge Stabilizer, and 4-arrow quiver.

It's a 328fps IBO, single cam. It's compact, light, and quiet. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone. And Fred Bear offers a lifetime warranty!

Here are a few photos:

i51.tinypic.com_ddjonl.jpg

i56.tinypic.com_5fls43.jpg

i54.tinypic.com_9rrbs4.jpg

Couldn't do that with my old Martin Lynx :)
Hey now you caint dis them old martins! I started with an old Martin Jaguar or cougar magnum and i loved that thing lol.
Whats the draw like on them Bears? Bass Pro guy wouldn't let me shoot one last time i was there but i've heard they are a really nice bow.

Haha definitely not dissing the old Martin. I killed deer with it. Just a fact that I had 3 pins setup for 10, 20, and 30 yards with that old bow. Now I have 1 to 25 and 2 to >40 (gotta get creative to get a longer shot around my house)! Haven't touched the other 3 pins yet.

Man this Assault draws so nice. Mine is set at 65# at 28" draw. It has 80% letoff.

I'm shooting Easton Backdraft carbon arrows I got a Dick's. Apparently they're the same weight as the Flatline, but they're rated at +/-.006" straightness. One of the arrows came with a Tracer nock, which is really cool to shoot.

Blazedawg if I had to guess on the Strothers it was probably out of tune/cams not timed. Any two cam bow needs to be timed and tuned correctly to get the most out of it.

Im shooting a PSE Vendetta XS right now and this little bow is sweet! Just as smooth as any of the Drenalin's or Reezen's I had owned previously. Im shooting almost a 500 grain arrow at 29" and about 64lbs and she packs a punch. Even with a short ATA and a longer draw I have no problems shooting out to 60 yards.

It may have been outta tune. I didnt really push the issue on it because the shop i was at mainly dealt with matthews and bowtech. I still gotta shoot some hoyts and pse.

Back
Top Bottom