• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2001 Grand Am 2.4l weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
506   0
Reaction score
Looking at buying a used car for my daughters first. Looked at a 2001 Grand Am w/ 4cyl and right at 100k miles. The motor has a skip in it and when I open the oil fill cap air is pulsing out in rhythm with the skip. The owner said the car has not been driven much over the last few years and says it simply needs a spark plug replaced. (Per Autozone reading his diagnostics). The car does not smoke or over heat and the oil and coolant look good. Any one have any experience with these symptoms? I'm thinking if it is only a spark plug then I would have changed it before I tried to sell the car.

Sounds like a plug. Di you recall the exact trouble code the part store got?

No I didn't. I think I'm going to go take another look this weekend and maybe change the plug out myself. Supposedly it's just one that's causing the skip. I'm assuming the other 3 prob need to go also.

See if its a multiple coil and check for spark.. If no spark try a plug.. If no spark see if you can change coil to that cylinder and get spark or swap wires till you narrow it down..It sounds like a build up in the crankcase blowing smoke out. Could be a plugged egr or something simple .. Check the simple things first.. You can also crank on a cold engine and get a cheap thermometer gun and shoot the manifold and see which cylinder is running cold and tell u which one has the problem.. Could also be a bad valve allowing gas back into the crankcase.. that can be checked by a compression test or vacuum gauge and look for a pulsating vacuum on the low side.. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom