• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2001 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke Crazy Noise (with video)

The pulley or bearing issue is easy enough to figure out. I can't tell from the video but if it's a steady high squeal it might not be in the accessories. The stethoscope sounds like a good plan but I tried that method and there was enough noise transmitting that I couldn't pinpoint it. Pop the belt off and start turning pulleys. If you got a scratch rough one there's your prob. Mine was the waterpump. I replaced it with an advance auto item and kicking myself bc it was squeaking again and though it's under warranty it's still a pain to change

The pulley or bearing issue is easy enough to figure out. I can't tell from the video but if it's a steady high squeal it might not be in the accessories. The stethoscope sounds like a good plan but I tried that method and there was enough noise transmitting that I couldn't pinpoint it. Pop the belt off and start turning pulleys. If you got a scratch rough one there's your prob. Mine was the waterpump. I replaced it with an advance auto item and kicking myself bc it was squeaking again and though it's under warranty it's still a pain to change

Belt squeaking??? Like you can hear ir at idle?

When my water pump bearing went you could hear it at idle, sounded like a belt squeak to some degree but it was a bad pump. You could hear it under load as well if you were in the cab and it got less noticeable when the truck was warm. I doubt that's what's up here because I don't hear anything but a high pitched whine in the vid that sounds more akin to a turbo leak or bearing issue there. Easy enough to pull the serpentine and rule that stuff out quick and being that I don't hear much in the vid it won't hurt to check

Just went through this with my '01 F-350. With no load ran great, hook up a trailer and it would have a high speed come apart and lose all power. It was a fuel delivery problem. I would suggest checking the fuel pump and the intake socks in the fuel tank. We replaced both and now she runs like a scalded dog. Now if I could get the utility bed sandblasted and painted for free, I would be a happy camper.

I had a 2002 7.3l and had this noise could never figure it out until backing out of hunting land and lost PS...It was the idler tension pulley and bracket just fell off from bearing wear.Threw the belt off and had her towed in for replacement.

Back
Top Bottom