• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2001 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke Crazy Noise (with video)

Annon5709871235

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
41   0
Reaction score
My 2001 F350 7.3 has started making this nails on chalk board noise!. The truck has a bad over drive gear, which is getting fixed monday, but this friggen noise has to stop! At first I thought it was a boost leak or bad intercooler boots, but the truck makes this noise underload, not under load, in gear not in gear, etc. I think I have narrowed it down to something on the pulleys and belt system. The fanclutch is bad, will not disengage, and the power steering pump needs to be replaced, all of which my mechanic is going to do while the tranny is being rebuilt but instead of me paying him to hunt this issue I would rather have a good idea of what pulley is causing the problem. Any ideas? any 7.3 guys had this issue before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell over the video, but is it a metallic sound? Get a stethoscope or long metal object and put it on the pulleys (while being careful, obviously) and to your ear. At idle you should hear if there's a bad pulley.

Last edited:
My hearing is not what used to be, what kind of air filter do you use? Mine makes a high pitched whine that I think I heard in yours that is the result of an aftermarket turbo and a K&N filter.

This is defiantly a pulley/Belt issue. Found this in the ford TSB archives

Some 7.3 engines may exhibit a loud squeal noise from the engine area when the engine is under load and the fan clutch is locked up, typically in hot and dusty conditions. Another complaint may be the fan clutch oscillating or not locking up. This may be due to dust accumulating on the back side of the belt and causing it to slip on the water pump pulley. This usually affects only 2002 model/year vehicles, but may occur in trucks built from 99-01 if the belt was replaced after July 01. On single rear wheel trucks, replace the serpentine belt with P/N 1C2Z-8620-NA on single-alternator engines, and 1C2Z-8620-PA on dual-alternators. Broadcast Message 3848. A service kit has been released for 2002 trucks only. It includes a belt, tensioner and water pump pulley. Use 2C3Z-8620-AA for single alternator and 2C3Z-8620-BA for dual alternators. Broadcast Message 0718.

Could also be from a bad vacuum pump with a bad diagram but it would do it all the time and your brake light should be coming on. Have also seen it coming out of the fan clutch as said above.

No vac pump on a super duty, Its your turbo about to take a dump. The sound you are hearing are the vanes EVER so slowly grinding themselves down on the housing because the bushings are wore out beyond serviceable side play and or end play. Pull your intake boot off the turbo and check those vanes because that only takes a few seconds to do, but your prob is more than likely the hot side. With the boot off you can grab the turbo shaft and check side and end play.

Back
Top Bottom