• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2 PC lug nut issue

I had some on a Dodge that were a bear to remove. I tried sockets, then impact sockets - no luck. Finally I switched to a breaker bar with a 4' pipe and they came right off.

Spent several hours replacing the chrome covered 2 piece lug nuts on an old Ford truck with regular lug nuts. :rant:

Ended up cutting the chrome covers off with an air chisel and pounding the next size smaller metric impact socket onto the remaining odd sized lug then removing with a breaker bar.

Found out later that I could have purchased a 17.5 mm or 18.5 mm socket if the lugs were oversized, but the lugs on many of these had broken loose from the inner lug and just spin when trying to remove.

Why in the he— would they make some BS like that?!?! I swear..auto engineers should have to work their first year..as a roadside,emergency mechanic. A few days in the rain,or 100 degree heat…would give them a new thought process..:)

Why in the he— would they make some BS like that?!?! I swear..auto engineers should have to work their first year..as a roadside,emergency mechanic. A few days in the rain,or 100 degree heat…would give them a new thought process..:)
Probabaly Saves a nickel per car

Mine on my old Ford Flex were beat and split, couple had been replaced with standard lug nuts by MOG Ford when I’d get it serviced.
Took it in to King’s Colonial Ford in Brunswick, got it home to check lugs to make sure none got lost or left loose. Surprise! Had a complete set of new, shiny, solid, chromed nuts all the way around. No notice, no charge. Must have got tired of being bitched at by owners, or maybe Ford directed replacement to head off a herd of lawsuits.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Got a snicker when I saw this on the tool truck the other day. 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_6169.jpeg
    IMG_6169.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom