• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2 PC lug nut issue

taylorhagstrom

Default rank <200 posts Sponsor
Life Insurance Agent
23   0
Reaction score
I want to start this by saying I’ve changed tires before, and brake pads before on previous vehicles I’ve owned, but I’m also not a mechanic for sure. I have yet to run into lug nuts this stuck, and in this 2 piece style.

I have a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica, and the wheels are 5 lug nuts each side. I’ve only had the van a year, and the brake pads started sounding like they are spent, but with how stuck these seem to be I’m not sure the previous owner ever took the lugs off. (I could be wrong)

They look to have a lighter weight outer shell (aluminum maybe)?) and a steel inner lug nut (just a guess it’s steel). The outer lug is 19mm, and the inner seems to be almost a 17.5mm as a 17mm does not quite fit.

I was trying to take off the lug nuts to replace the front brake pads and most of the lug nuts are stuck. I was able to get a few off on the driver and passenger side front wheels. A few the outer shell came off.

I have a new set of solid 1 piece lug nuts to replace all four wheels.

Does anybody have any advice for getting off the stuck lug nuts? I have 3 that the outer shell came off (one started to get stripped so I stopped trying to remove that steel part of the nut), 3 that have the outer shell still but refuse to move. (The other 4 I was able to remove on the front wheels) in the photos I have reinstalled the lug nuts I was able to get off for now.

I’ve tried using penetrating lubricant in addition to a 20 inch wrench (one of the ones with 4 standard sizes in a x shape) and cannot seem to get them to move. I also understand I may be out of luck. Any advice is great. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, these damned things I have run across from time to time being a mechanic. What it is , is a casing made of an aluminum type metal that is shinier that caps the lug nut. After repeated use these seem to come apart. Most of the ones I saw were of a 19mm size with the casing then when it comes off or apart you usually can get a standard socket size over the hard inner nut (I forgot what size that ends up as) but …..if they are coming off, it does not hurt to go ahead and pry that outer casing off the steel nut then get the proper socket to fit the steel inner nut and remove.
You can go back with the steel inner nut or replace completely with a newer set that is of better quality , which is what I would recommend. (You may end up taking to a wheel shop if you are having a lot of trouble getting them loose, you don’t want to strip them to the point you have a real problem. Just pay someone that has been there to remove them that knows and has the right stuff to do it. Just my suggestion)
good luck !

I used an old flathead screw driver and pounded on it at a 45 degree angle in the center of the lugnut cover. Try a few different angles and use the pointy edge of the blade and you should be able to tear the aluminum cover open. Then needle node pliers or more screwdriver pounding will eventually tear them off. I hate those things.

I used an old flathead screw driver and pounded on it at a 45 degree angle in the center of the lugnut cover. Try a few different angles and use the pointy edge of the blade and you should be able to tear the aluminum cover open. Then needle node pliers or more screwdriver pounding will eventually tear them off. I hate those things.
BeautifulEmbellishedArmyant-max-1mb.gif

Hate them too. I replaced mine with solid nuts that’s chrome. As said if you can get covers off then should be able to get them off. If you have a half inch Milwaukee impact they should come off. Good luck

I would have used a torch but I needed the wheel studs intact. :rofl:
Hey man, I get it. I've been futzing around with a trailer spindle for the last THREE days.

I made a calendar reminder for tomorrow to take the metal detector in the back yard and find the channel locks before I cut the grass. :frusty:

Back
Top Bottom