• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 Reliability Overhaul

You probably only need a recoil spring. I would only change the springs. The extractor is fine if it was ever any good, and still ejects the empties. The firing pin is either good, bent, or broken; if it looks okay, there is no need to replace it. You do not need any tools to adjust an extractor, your thumb will do the job. The 1911 is designed to be fully disassembled with only two punches.

I say if it's old and heavily used replace all hard parts that have taken a beating. It's the difference. That's like rebuilding a engine and using the same valve springs. They will fail or float at high RPM due to pressure loss. If it is in question replace it. It really isn't that much more for one or two parts. Nine bucks for a firing pin and 30 bucks for a extractor. Worth it in the long run in my opinion. Ed Brown parts if you shop around.

Don't let me near your 1911 I'll ruin it. I had an old crap springfield I was gonna gussy up and I smoothed out the feed ramp and I gotta tell you that gun was slicker than snail snot. Shot amazing but I noticed one day at the range that the brass was belling out a little near the base. Well when I slicked up the feed ramp I removed a little too much metal and made the firearm dangerous.

I had to cut up the frame so nobody would use it. And threw it away in pieces. I only paid 350 for the gun but lesson learned. Don't go messin with stuff you know nothing about.

1911's aren't like AR-15s they require a little finessing a little stoning a little filing here and there to fit. It's a whole different animal so if you don't know your parts and tools and I wouldn't suggest messing with it. Take it to a qualified gunsmith and let them handle it

Yikes! OP, if it needs more than simple springs can correct, take it to someone who knows the platform. A 1911 runs like singer sewing machine because its all assembled and working correctly. Most parts on a 1911, other than springs, need to be fitted to work correctly. Fitted means anything between fine stones to a coarse file to fit the part to the gun. Id really take it somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom