• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 Reliability Overhaul

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
I have a 1911 that is near and dear to my heart. It's older and I think all sorts of things on it probably need replacing. I am planning on replacing the recoil spring, extractor, mainspring, firing pin assembly. Is there anything else that could add to restoring it to its former glory? Is there a standard overhaul set of parts? Thanks in advance ODT.

Hooper Gun Works.com has a lot of "1911 Lower Parts Kits, Build Kits, Etc." But most of them don't have all the odds and ends without including a slide or frame.

I have a Rock Island 1911 that I used to shoot the snot out of. When I started having a couple of issues I replaced the recoil spring and it runs like a top now.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I have a Rock Island 1911 that I used to shoot the snot out of. When I started having a couple of issues I replaced the recoil spring and it runs like a top now.

Good luck and keep us posted.
You haven't had to replace the extractor yet?
I put a lil over 350-400 rounds through mine and it started ejecting the brass right into my dam forehead...lol

You haven't had to replace the extractor yet?
I put a lil over 350-400 rounds through mine and it started ejecting the brass right into my dam forehead...lol
Mine is failing to go into battery. Ejection is great. So far I am going to get some new recoil springs and guide rods, extractor.

Go ahead and get mag springs too. Is it a hollowpoint issue, or is it failing with ball? Is it hanging up on the lip at barrel/frame? Shouldn't be a lip there...Measure your barrel link as well. Recoil and mag spring are usually the culprit when a gun just starts feeding issues...1911's? I know a little about them, but we have some really good 1911 guru's on here that will chime in soon I'm sure...

I have a 1911 that is near and dear to my heart. It's older and I think all sorts of things on it probably need replacing. I am planning on replacing the recoil spring, extractor, mainspring, firing pin assembly. Is there anything else that could add to restoring it to its former glory? Is there a standard overhaul set of parts? Thanks in advance ODT.
FWIW, Brownells sells a Weigand Extractor tension and adjusting tool (has pull gauge inserts also). Had the same kind of ejection placement problems with one of my 1911s that some here have mentioned...... used it and it works

Back
Top Bottom