• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 help

Cigar Dave

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
46   0
Reaction score
I have a RIA 1911 and I'm suddenly having trouble with the slide fully going forward. It's almost like the barrel is not slipping into place causing the slide to not fully settle into the foward position. I'm fairly 1911 ignorant so this is the only way I know to explain. I can manually push it forward and feel it "pop" into place but it will not do it by itself. I ran around 40 perfect rounds through it then it just suddenly started doing this.
I have disassembled and reassembled several times but still the same thing.
Any ideas ya'll?
Thanks,
BTW, it does this whether loaded or unloaded...don't know if that makes a difference...

Last edited:
Check the barrel link to make sure it moves freely, check the slide lugs (where they contact the barrel lugs) for burs or debris. Check the barrel and bushing to insure it moves freely. With the barrel out make sure the slide moves freely on the frame.

If it was doing fine then just stopped running right it's probably just some cak or something simple like a bur.

Edit, oil, yes they like oil, if you oil it like a Glock you may have issues.

Last edited:
Check the barrel link to make sure it moves freely, check the slide lugs (where they contact the barrel lugs) for burs or debris. Check the barrel and bushing to insure it moves freely. With the barrel out make sure the slide moves freely on the frame.

If it was doing fine then just stopped running right it's probably just some cak or something simple like a bur.

Bingo Bango ^^

Thanks for the advice; I'll disassemble and try the above suggestions. I think having a Glock for so long just has me spoiled...and I'm just not that familar with the way a 1911 truly works.

Yes my old 1911, if it got really dirty from a long shooting session, it won't go into full battery. I had to push it a little to go into full battery or else I couldn't pull the trigger. Also check your recoil spring, if its over due, its not getting enough spring power to push it back into battery.

recoil spring issues, above stated, feed ramp to barrel space. it can be any number of things. but if the gun worked properly before. it should just need cleaning. of course if your not content with it. send it to RIA and they will fix whatever is wrong with it for free (most of the time)

Back
Top Bottom