• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1860 Army Blackhawk

While I wait for the new front sight so I can get a good zero.....fixin up the sticky when hot ejector rod from Story.

The rub line is on the backside of the ejector rod.....So, the drag was less against the cylinder and more on the hole in the frame loop that the ejector rod travels thru. I filed and polished a simple flat using the scratched line as a guide. The rod will need reblued but that's about right for first test....good as long as it gets the bugs out. Its easier to file/polish if its clamped down and immoveable.

i.imgur.com_1HTbwdT.jpg

Last adjustment was to close up the clipped end of the spring.....it was boogered somehow and I cut a single coil off to clean it up. The end is folded slightly in so it does not snag and the cut end placed against the button end of the rod....the factory compressed coil end abuts the bottom of the frame loop. No snag function and there should be no drag in the assembly even when hot.

i.imgur.com_N4EhvGi.jpg

And now off to the hot hot hot shop to pull down my six black powder loaded 45 Colts and reload them with a 260 Full Wadcutter sized .454 and a healthy charge of Bullseye. Should I ever get some parts (UPSs today delivery has extended to an estimated 3 Sept via USPS cause the bums abandoned the package at USPS about 50 meters down the street from where they picked it up) I'll be able to go to the range and give the potential 45 Colt project gun a good test fire.

.250" tall front fiber optic sight finally arrived in the AM mail. Got it pushed into place and off to the range for the rezero and final checks. 200 rounds of 38 and 357 later, reporting perfect function and reliability. No issues with this grip conversion. Works as good as factory and grips a darn site better. Nothing left to do but buy Pops a box of ammo or three for practice and hunting season and get this gun fully cleaned and lightly lubed for when the holster arrives.

i.imgur.com_8Z9X3gz.jpg

Holster is in. 4 weeks and one day since ordered....worth the wait. Received Dads 1920 Tom Three Persons Cross Draw and GoodWife's black Tortilla for her EDC.

I have owned a couple good holsters. These from El Paso Saddlery look so far to be in the "Best" category. And the hand carved Frontier Floral is quite nice. This is the holster that Wife, Mother and Sister picked out for Dad's gun. Good selection and I'm pleased. I am sure they will be too.

i.imgur.com_VmGzyRU.jpg

i.imgur.com_5SWr71Q.jpg

i.imgur.com_BMSaM45.jpg

i.imgur.com_xCENPlY.jpg

i.imgur.com_lTnuE95.jpg

Got a good 600 rounds thru this one now, both 38s, 38+P and a variety of med to heavy 357 Mags. Nary a problem or a breakdown. Plenty dirty but cleaning will come later.

So, I suspect I'll have to officially pronounce the conversion of an 1860 Colt Army Grip Frame to coil spring and installing it on an Early New Model 357 Blackhawk both doable and done. It seems perfectly reliable, including the unusual mounting of the rear legs of the trigger return spring. Ignition and extraction are perfect. Timing is just right. Accuracy is great (dayumed easy to hit with) and the grip...ah, pretty and pointable. The brass seems strong enough, well fit and there are no indications that its any less durable than the factory potmetal (aluminum) grip frame.

If it weren't for the fact I made it for Dad, I'd have to keep it. So. Guess I'll have to find me a nice 3 screw 45 ACP and make one up with the 1860 Army Grip and the 3.5" Sheriff length barrel with full extraction. Time to go shoppin!

Thanks. Market must be bad. I had a lot of trouble trading the last Marauder Marlin conversion to roll over into the Lightning that wound up keeping. Then the Lightning sat on GB and boards for 6 weeks at a bargain price of $640....but I'm glad I kept it cause its pretty much a daily carry now. So decided to do the 1860 Army for Dad and one for Mom. Not sure what to do about the 45 Colt that I'm working. Probably slow down on it a bit but I know I won't keep it...wrong caliber. Figured I'd give one more three screw a try too. Waiting to decide how to treat it. Original Colt parts or restoration or perhaps convert to 44 Special or 45 ACP. I am almost positive it'll be a true 3.5" gun like the Lightning. After that....who knows....perhaps a 63 C10 if I can find one.

Back
Top Bottom