• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

100 .300 Blackout subsonic rounds for $9.50

mockchock

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
21   0
Reaction score
I made up my first 300 blackout subsonic handloads with powder coated cast bullets a couple weeks ago. I made a few different charges to find the ideal load for my 7.5" barrel with a 1:8 twist. One of the loads delivered about a one-inch group at 25 yards with the first five rounds, and about a two-inch group after 30 rounds. No problems cycling the BCG or locking open when empty.

This is my first year reloading and bullet casting, and 300 blackout was the caliber that made me decide it was a worthy investment. It's an expensive caliber to shoot, especially right now, and I realized if I wanted to shoot very much, the investment in equipment, supplies and time would pay for itself very quickly.

Here's my load data:
Bullet: Range scrap lead with the Lee 230 gr .30 cal mold, water quenched, powder coated w/ Eastwood's black PC and quenched again. The Lee hardness tool rated it around 20 BHN AFTER powder coating.
Powder: Lil' Gun 9.6gr
Primer: Winchester SRP
OAL: 2.150"

Attachments

• PXL_20201020_014332801.jpg
    PXL_20201020_014332801.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 300 blk lil gun 9.6gr lee 230gr 2.150 OAL.jpg
    300 blk lil gun 9.6gr lee 230gr 2.150 OAL.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 29
That's whats up! Where and how do you go about gathering range scrap lead? I've gotten all of my lead from W/W's or Lead Scrap from sheets/flashing. I started casting this year as well. Also that's about what I got on my lee hardness tester as well, actually 22 BHN on the double dunk in ice water.

A while back I cast a good bit of Lyman 210's actually 216/217 PC'ed. Are your Lee's a true 230gr coated?

Microscope and Light Stand Combo for the Lee Lead Hardness Test Kit
If you haven't seen this little addition to the Lee hardness tester I highly recommend it. Way easier to get a precise reading.

Most certainly the time to become less dependent on others for ammo and even projectiles :) Happy & Safe Casting/Reloading!

That's whats up! Where and how do you go about gathering range scrap lead? I've gotten all of my lead from W/W's or Lead Scrap from sheets/flashing. I started casting this year as well. Also that's about what I got on my lee hardness tester as well, actually 22 BHN on the double dunk in ice water.

A while back I cast a good bit of Lyman 210's actually 216/217 PC'ed. Are your Lee's a true 230gr coated?

Microscope and Light Stand Combo for the Lee Lead Hardness Test Kit
If you haven't seen this little addition to the Lee hardness tester I highly recommend it. Way easier to get a precise reading.

Most certainly the time to become less dependent on others for ammo and even projectiles :) Happy & Safe Casting/Reloading!

Thanks! Yeah it's been a lot of fun.

My source for lead has dried up unfortunately. Was very fortunate to stumble upon a kind person that was able to help me get some lead to get started, but I won't be able to get any more. Not sure what I'll do in the future, something for me to figure out :)

IIRC, I believe the bullets came out to around 232gr with PC, but I'll have to double check. Really happy they performed so well given the short barrel and the twist rate though.

I just saw that microscope stand a week or two ago and thought that was genius. It's so hard to control that Lee microscope, I should get one of those. Thanks for sharing the link. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom