• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/17 Hunt

Moved to my shooting house setup in the pines, saw 3, two does and a yearling. One doe and the yearling walked about 10 feet in front of me, so I decided to snap a couple pics.......

20211017_183740.jpg
20211017_183850.jpg
20211017_184126.jpg

Congrats everyone!

I too love those messed up racks. I saw a big bodied buck this a.m. with 4 on the left and a big cow horn on the right. Used a doe bleat to stop him and he started horning a tree. Did it again and turned him around, perhaps I got over zealous and he went right back where he came from. Shot would have been to my right. Never took my rifle out of the rack. Win some, lose most. :doh:
Thanks!!
We’ve encountered numerous deer with this antler trait, it seems to be more of a genetic issue than injury.
We’ve killed 4 bucks in the past 3 seasons and have documented at least 5 others in that time frame…..all of which had similar left-sided growth/deformity. None of these deer had anything odd going on with the right antler.

Had a great mid morning sit, saw several does and fawns and a nice eight that I promised to spare for my buddy. Got back to the camper, poked the fire and listened to the Braves....Then some **** bag rolls up 50 yards away and throws what I thought was trash out of his bed. This is not how I want meat, but I cleared it with the game wardens and she will not be wasted. Look folks, you may not agree with the regulations. BUT DO NOT KILL JUST TO KILL, IT LOOKS BAD ON ALL OF US.
10EE074B-2423-4103-A700-3A4A7885583D.jpeg
7DD9ADDF-8A3F-4496-BB7A-E135890103F4.jpeg

Had a great mid morning sit, saw several does and fawns and a nice eight that I promised to spare for my buddy. Got back to the camper, poked the fire and listened to the Braves....Then some **** bag rolls up 50 yards away and throws what I thought was trash out of his bed. This is not how I want meat, but I cleared it with the game wardens and she will not be wasted. Look folks, you may not agree with the regulations. BUT DO NOT KILL JUST TO KILL, IT LOOKS BAD ON ALL OF US.View attachment 3599482View attachment 3599478
Folks that do stuff like that are pure SCUM!

Folks that do stuff like that are pure SCUM!
I counted 19 deer total yesterday, including 7 different buck, to the best of my abilities...51 year old eyes not what they used to be. I also counted 8 hog.

I didn't shoot. I have learned to just be patient and learn from watching their behavior.

In the past, I've allowed a friend or two to come hunt. Rules are simple...if you shoot, shoot to kill, but it better be a wall-mount trophy or the largest doe of the bunch; if you don't plan to process the deer, don't shoot the deer.

Sure, I've taken a button buck in my life, but with patience, you can calm down and eyeball for notches to identify what you're shooting. If someone shoots a spike or a small doe, I just politely decline the next time they ask to hunt. Hard lesson but it has helped me build up the heard on my land.

I counted 19 deer total yesterday, including 7 different buck, to the best of my abilities...51 year old eyes not what they used to be. I also counted 8 hog.

I didn't shoot. I have learned to just be patient and learn from watching their behavior.

In the past, I've allowed a friend or two to come hunt. Rules are simple...if you shoot, shoot to kill, but it better be a wall-mount trophy or the largest doe of the bunch; if you don't plan to process the deer, don't shoot the deer.

Sure, I've taken a button buck in my life, but with patience, you can calm down and eyeball for notches to identify what you're shooting. If someone shoots a spike or a small doe, I just politely decline the next time they ask to hunt. Hard lesson but it has helped me build up the heard on my land.

I hear you are looking for new friends. Me too.

Back
Top Bottom