1 is none, 2 is 1 and 3 is some....even in the house.

willr1

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
33   0
Reaction score
Ok, something that I take for granted given my nature to have just about every gadget and it's brother around the house, but it made me realize if I was not around, my wife would be literally be toast in a SHTF situation.

Tonight while making some homemade chicken pot pie, I was using our electric can opener when the thing broke and the cutting portion just fell off and a piece of metal fell that holds it together, thus calling an end to that can openers life in the house

The wife said "Crap, how we going to open it" and went to the draw to retrieve the hand held can opener. Guess what ! it begins to skip around the edge and does not open the can as only portions of the can are able to be opened, even after running it around several times, I have 3 other cans to do it with.

The wife tosses in the towel and goes to get a coupon for Capt' D's or Stevi B's pizza. I retire to my "locker" and come back with a P-38 (military can opener) and P-51 (its 2" big bro) and give her the P-51. She looked at it and said "Whats this" ?, I respond by "Watch this" and procede to rock the P-38 and whalla, mixed veggies are in sight now.

She was amazed at such a little device was so usefull. I then told her again, which she hates hearing, why I have and buy so much "useless" items as it just saved us money from eating out. I showed her where they were, including the one in her "bug out locker" in the garage which she thought was funny and then we ate.

This is just a small example of why the rule of "1 is none (elec can opener); 2 is one (hand held) and 3 is some (my P38/51 was last)" came in handy. This goes with flashlights, magazines, matches, blankets etc that can be used.

Question is, how many of us have spares to a spare for redundency to help make it through in case the worse happens or even to save dinner ?

i carried a p38 on my key chain for years i gotta get another,thanks for the reminder.small and dependable.i seen one in a pawn shop here in dalton i dont know why i didnt buy it..bug out bag specialty for sure.

photo(7).jpg

like this ?

The funny part of your story is that just yesterday, while opening a can of tuna, I was thinking "what ever happened to electric can openers"? I haven't seen one since I was a kid in a home or at the store. I guess they're still useful to people with arthritis, etc., but it seems they just didn't catch on(?).

Anyhow, then I got to thinking how I would be SOL if my ONE hand can opener (which I've had for over 10 years) was ever lost. That prompted me to buy a spare, and that prompted me to think about everything else that I should keep a spare of. And now you guys are telling me I need THREE of everything! lol

I gotta say though, this whole idea of a bug out bag/locker is looking a lot less crazy with each passing day.

Back
Top Bottom