• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

You're not allowed to swim at Lake Lanier in 2023. Period!

Truth.

There used to be trout in Lake Lanier, and people would fish deep for them at night near the dam.

The first time I heard about the "Volkswagon Size" catfish was about 1963. Supposedly the night fishermen could see them swimming around under their boats. Supposedly, the COE couldn't get divers to work around the dam because they were afraid of those fish.

I don't know how many people I knew ( a lot) who swore that the tales about the car sized catfish were true.
Same rumors around Hartwell Damn.

Truth.

There used to be trout in Lake Lanier, and people would fish deep for them at night near the dam.

The first time I heard about the "Volkswagon Size" catfish was about 1963. Supposedly the night fishermen could see them swimming around under their boats. Supposedly, the COE couldn't get divers to work around the dam because they were afraid of those fish.

I don't know how many people I knew ( a lot) who swore that the tales about the car sized catfish were true.
Same thing at Sinclair —catfish big as cars,divers refused to work on dam

seen any of the "car sized" catfish there? or urban legend?
I personally saw a catfish laid on top of a 4-dr cadillac in the bottom of Watauga Lake while scuba diving. It's head was on the hood and body stretched across the top and the tail on the back lid. It wasn't the sizer of a car but covered most of the top of that car. It was allot bigger and heavier than me

Same rumors around Hartwell Damn.
I caught the big whopper back in 2020. 400 pound braided line tided to the bumper of my truck, used a dozen chicken legs for bait. Good thing I had new tires, it almost pulled my truck in the water!

EE6E8919-01B3-4AD0-8CE4-BAFF885384E5.jpeg

Dam !! That is the ugliest thing I ever seen…… Much less the ugliest to come out of the lake !!
Scary-looking even… gives you the “willies” just looking at it !
Its lives down in the deep water, near the dam. The rumors are true! Don’t go swimming in that lake!

Back
Top Bottom