Your Thoughts on Primer Brands

I've used all of the major American brands, plus a lot of Wolf, Magtech, and more recently, HMF. Never had a problem with any of them.

I noticed on the box of Winchester large pistol primers that I have that it says "Use For Standard or Magnum Pistol Loads" while Federal and CCI market different primers for standard or magnum applications. It seems to me that I might as well just buy the Winchester primers to cover both. Is there any advantage to buying the Federal or CCI large pistol primers or magnum pistol primers for separate applications? You guys have mentioned that the Federal primers are a little softer so I can see why I might need to choose the Federals but are there any other reasons?

With the possible exception of benchrest shooting, where you are looking for the highest possible consistency, there is not going to be a dramatic difference in rounds loaded with different brand primers.

If you shoot loads or in conditions where certain powders might be tough to light (e.g., cold weather, low % of case fill with an ignition resistant powder), a magnum specific primer can help solve those problems. Otherwise, the Winchester primer is fine.

Federal and CCI in that order of preference. I'll typically use the Match versions simply because they are more consistent in their ignition and give slightly better accuracy, but I've never had a problem with either brand. One slight difference is that Federal seems to be less sensitive to primer pocket expansion on high pressure reloads. I can get one or two more reloads out of the brass before the primer won't stay in place firmly.

I use Win Large Pistol-- because they can double for Magnum primers. Fewer types to stock.

I use CCI Mag primers to test reduced power springs in revolvers. If they'll go off reliably, so will all of the others. Then I load with the others-- Win, Fed, Rem, S&B.

But if you aren't chasing bug hole groups, it doesn't make one whit of difference.

I began reloading using CCI primers and Winchester, whichever was available. I started having light strikes in some striker fired pistols with both CCI and Winchester. Read that the federal was softer. Bought some Federal small pistol and have yet to have a light primer strike on a striker fired since. I also was having light primer strikes on my H&R 45-70 Buffalo Classic. I even put in a heavier hammer spring and would occasionally have a light strike. The gun would always go boom on the second try. I bought some Federal large rifle primers and have yet to have a light strike/failure to fire since.

A friend of mine who trades and builds a lot of firearms said he has experienced the same issue in striker fired pistols (including Glocks) and Federal primers solved the problem for him also.

I do still use CCI and Winchester in other firearms though and suspect since CCI is one of the hardest, it would be good to use in semi-autos with floating firing pins such as an AR for safety reasons.

Have never used Remington, never see it where I shop anyway. Have seen wolf, but never tried it. The Federals are hard to find though. CCI and Winchesters are the easiest to find for sure.

Rosewood

I've used just about every brand out there and have probably 6 different brands on my shelf currently. never had any issues with any of them with regards to them going bang or not enough to notice and stay away from any particular brand. Generally speaking with pricing being the same I'd probably buy CCI but mainly because that's the brand that my dad seemed to use most.

when primers were hard to find a few years ago, I bought a bunch of Wolf and Tula primers (all you could find that the time and even those were hard to find) and have gone thru a lot of those with no issue.

I guess I'm primer brand agnostic these days. :)

There are a few instances where I use specific primers, but again not specific brands.

1) with a few powders (H110 being the main one that I can think of off the top of my head) I use magnum primers (vs the Winchester that do both standard and magnum- WLP) specifically. But as someone else mentioned I do buy winchester large pistol primers so I can use them in most of my large pistol calibers except 44 mag hot loads with H110, those get specific large pistol magnum primers (more than likely CCI).

2) Remington 6 1/2 primers only get used with smaller rifle centerfire loads, mainly hornet, bee and 32-20 loads. Again when primers were hard to get a lot of folks were buying these for 223/556 loads but remington only recommends the 6 1/2 for specific small rifle loads

3) duplicating a match load- just getting into shooting a bit more accurate 308 and am looking for Federal match large rifle primers. The more variance I can remove from load to load and have something that's easy to duplicate the better off you are with regards to accuracy. since most of my loadings are MOD (minute of deer) I'm fine with them and don't feel the need to tweak things even more.

Back
Top Bottom