• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

young bucks

MisterGrubbs

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
So I finally got my first trail cam pictures of some kind of a decent buck. Until now the only thing that I have been getting is a ton of does and a couple of small pecker heads. Let me know what you all think and feel free to give me what you think is the age of the dear. I am figuring about 2 and a half years old.

Attachments

• facebook_-934543658.jpg
    facebook_-934543658.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 54
  • facebook_1319451080.jpg
    facebook_1319451080.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 56
IMHO I'd have to say 3 1/2. I'm no expert by far but based on antler growth and by the body I'd say that would be about the right age? Nice bucks you got running around for sure !

Is this a hunting camp, private property, or family land? What size is the land?
Based on the pictures you have collected what would you say is your buck to doe ratio?

I ask because although I'd be willing to agree that both bucks are probably 3.5 years old (basing that on chest, brisket, and legs, NOT antlers) I feel that their antlers are lacking for their age. Don't get me wrong that on some land those deer could be nice but based on the comment of only getting doe pics and small buck pics I feel like these bucks may not be getting the best diet or the genes of the area might be lacking.

If possible you could look into some QDMA practices and maybe in a couple of years get some studs on the property.

I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way. I mean to be positive and helpful. That 8 with the tight rack has a cool symmetry and nice tines. If you could let him walk and have good protection of him it would be cool too see what a year could do for him. If there is a ton of pressure and you can't control the herd then get on him and most of all GOOD LUCK!!

Secondly after looking that the pics again the tight rack deer could be 2.5 and if that is true then he will most likely be a STUD in 2 years.
They both have decent chests but the tight rack buck looks a little skinny on the stomach for this time of year for a 3.5 year old. Their briskets seem formed and their necks seem to start blending towards the brisket but the tight rack buck does still have a noticeable neck. Also skinny noses. But I've seen some 4.5 year old bucks with skinny noses. And straight on body picks and profile head pics?
The wide rack buck does have a slight sag to him and his tarsal glands are stained showing that he's had at least on breeding season under his belt. Hell he could be old and his rack could be on the down side of what it was before. Again, I think if I could get a profile and head on pic it would be easy to tell.

On the field if I were on a hunt I'd guess the wide rack buck to be shooting age and let the tight rack buck walk.

I'd probably try hard to get the wide rack buck off the herd and let the tight rack buck walk for a couple of years.

If you can't tell I love this stuff.

Last edited:
Hunting lease. Meriwether county. Plus or minus 300 acres. I had a feeling the symmetrical deer was a bit younger. I aged him at 2.5 years and the other buck at 3.5 years. I have talked with a friend and we decided exactly what you said. Get rid of the short tined wider buck. I will get more pictures when I pull the card back out.

Buck to doe is high on the property in my opinion. There also is not sufficient vegetation for the animals to eat. There is a large soybean field in the area did they go and eat from I know of

If you can make a plan with your hunting buddies to start taking out does early you may see a quick turn around for next season. Just getting the ratio as close to 1:1 will make a HUGE difference. You'll see a lot more rut activity too which is a great thing to watch.

Also supplemental feeding in the off season will help keep deer around and keep them healthy. Considering building a "no hunting sanctuary" will help keep deer on the property too. Although deer can and will travel long distances there have been many studies that show deer will have a "home" or "safe" zone that is closer to 70-100 acres. Makes 300 acres a great size for deer herd management. I also support communicating with your neighbors to try and build a co-op of sorts to where a very large area can work together to manage the deer herds.

Good luck and I hope you nail the wide rack buck. He looks like he'd fill a freezer!!

Last edited:
Hahaha

Okay so I was looking over some of my trail camera pics and thought I'd give a real life example of what you can gain from letting the tight rack live.
These pics come from a survey trail camera I keep on one of my properties year round. This property is only 20 acres but with constant communication between the two neighboring properties has awarded all of us with some absolute studs.
In these first two pictures you'll see a 2.5 year old 8 point named Randy. He looks like a nice 8 point but is too young to shoot based on my deer management strategies. I saw him multiple times last season and once at 20 yards during the rut and he looked great. Many hunters would have been pleased to harvest him. He's too young here.

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_09_25_y8yduzez.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_09_25_beja5apa.jpg

Letting Randy walk last year allowed him to breed with does and pass on his good genes and also start growing to a very nice deer. The following picture is Randy this year as a 3.5 year old.

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_09_25_7eje5edy.jpg

You can see that he is still and 8 but even at the beginning of August he has spread to the tips of his ears and starting to grow some length too. Knowing that their is a big growth spurt between 3.5 and 4.5 years has put him on the safe list again this year even though harvesting 3.5 year old deer is okay with me. I just want to see him turn into a stud.

When you manage the ratio, provide food/water (when natural forage isn't cutting it), cover, bedding, and sanctuary for the deer you will get results.

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_09_25_te2y4ydu.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_09_25_5ysajeju.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_09_25_be5y6unu.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_12_09_25_ysyde4y4.jpg

Cheers and again, good luck. Sorry if I'm doing too much. I just really really get into this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom