• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

[WTB] Stripped AR15 Lower (ATL)

Phill40

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a stripped AR15 lower. Metal, no polymer. I'm 19 and I've been wanting to get into the AR platform, but want to build a rifle from the ground up.

I live in Metro Atlanta, but I'm willing to drive outside the perimeter a reasonable distance. My availability during the week is limited, so PM with possible times; however, I'm usually most available during the weekend.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if a stripped lower is first built into a rifle, it cannot be legally be built into a pistol (barrel length less than 16'' without a stock). But if it's first built into a pistol, it can be later built into a rifle and back legally. [Edit: Question Answered. I'll go ahead and just build only rifles.]

Last edited:
Not true. A built up lower with internals or stripped lower is considered by ATFE as a pistol when sold. To take a complete rifle is ok but what i have been told if you take the rifle and convert to a pistol and you are under 21 is a no no. I do not know how they would pursue the under aged individual, but DO NOT cross the ATFE.
Hope this helps

As long as your 18 or older you can legally own a pistol....but you can not convert a once converted rifle to a pistol... but you can a pistol to a rifle so you are right and you can go back and forth legally....

GA does not recognize stripped lowers as weapons built in one form or another...they are classifies as OTHER if im not mistaken
..having a pistol buffer tube and the lower attached makes it a pistol or a rifle buffer tube attached makes it a rifle...having the lower in proximity to a short barrel upper with a rifle buffer tube constitutes it as an SBR and has to have a stamp...even having the ability to make it a rifle is considered constructive intent and is a felony without a stamp for an SBR...so take that with a grain of salt...either build it as a pistol with a brace or solely as a rifle unless you plan on SBR stamping it...

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if a stripped lower is first built into a rifle, it cannot be legally be built into a pistol (barrel length less than 16'' without a stock). But if it's first built into a pistol, it can be later built into a rifle and back legally.

Correct. Just remember it's all about how it was transferred on the 4473.

As to all the constructive intent stuff, just dont have stuff in the house that could ONLY be configured illegally. I.E. don't have only pistol uppers and rifle lowers. Or one complete rifle, one pistol, an extra pistol upper and an extra rifle lower. Or only a pistol and a stock kit in a box.

Thanks for the input everybody! I never knew about the constructive intent laws and I'm glad I learned. I'll just go ahead and just build AR15 rifles only to make things simpler.

Last edited:
So if you own a pistol and a rifle, take them both to the range and shoot them, then take them home, field strip and clean them. Then you pick up the pistol upper with your left hand and accidently pick up the rifle lower with the right hand....will the ATF kick your door down and throw flash bangs in your living room?

So if you own a pistol and a rifle, take them both to the range and shoot them, then take them home, field strip and clean them. Then you pick up the pistol upper with your left hand and accidently pick up the rifle lower with the right hand....will the ATF kick your door down and throw flash bangs in your living room?

Precisely.

I think we all know you have to do something to draw attention to yourself to get charged a NFA violation under constructive intent, but it would be pretty irresponsible to give someone advice outside the letter of the law. Im sure plenty of ar owners have snapped a pistol upper on a rifle lower and never gone to jail, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a felony with a mandatory 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom