• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

work sharp system

Uwood52

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie
87   0
Reaction score
http://www.worksharptools.com/sharp...ners/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

Just picked this up from Cabela's. It is on sale for $70.

Got it home and sharpened a few knives, one being the old hickory butcher knife... I love this machine! I never have been able to get an edge as sharp with a stone as this thing did in 3 minutes!

The picture doesn't do it justice, but I shaved an entire row of hair from my arm when it was done!

IMG_0520.JPG

How do these type of systems remove the burr? I still have a tiny burr even when doing highly polished edges with 30,15 or 9 micron belts.

This looks like a good tool and I'd probably buy one if I didn't have a grinder. The harbor freight 1x30 also does a good job once you get quality belts with finer grit. The upside is they are cheap and versatile for other tasks, downside is they run fast and you need to be careful not to overheat.

How do these type of systems remove the burr? I still have a tiny burr even when doing highly polished edges with 30,15 or 9 micron belts.

This looks like a good tool and I'd probably buy one if I didn't have a grinder. The harbor freight 1x30 also does a good job once you get quality belts with finer grit. The upside is they are cheap and versatile for other tasks, downside is they run fast and you need to be careful not to overheat.
Get you an old leather belt or piece of cowhide and strop your blade with it. It will take the burr off.

I use a paper wheel most of the time but also a leather belt. I use a belt grinder to sharpen.

I am just curious how these "mini belt grinder" companies tell the user to remove the burr. They seem like great products, I'm not bashing but am curious how they handle that final and critical step.

http://www.worksharptools.com/sharp...ners/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

Just picked this up from Cabela's. It is on sale for $70.

Got it home and sharpened a few knives, one being the old hickory butcher knife... I love this machine! I never have been able to get an edge as sharp with a stone as this thing did in 3 minutes!

The picture doesn't do it justice, but I shaved an entire row of hair from my arm when it was done!

View attachment 616347

They are nice but, you really need to get to the point where you can get em that sharp with a stone. As a pepper, your are planning for bad stuff and will need razor sharp blades with not electricity. The edge of your car window will always put a sharp edge on anything that isn't beat up.

They are nice but, you really need to get to the point where you can get em that sharp with a stone. As a pepper, your are planning for bad stuff and will need razor sharp blades with not electricity. The edge of your car window will always put a sharp edge on anything that isn't beat up.
Also the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup. I have the work sharp that I use, my son wanted to have a set of stones..So I ordered a diamond Lansky System for him.

Also the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup. I have the work sharp that I use, my son wanted to have a set of stones..So I ordered a diamond Lansky System for him.
I really want one of the worksharps but at the moment it's a want not a need. I learned on an old set of Arkansas old stones from bass pro then had a guy tell me about the car window. I also have something like the lansky system and it works great. The best thing I keep is the filament from a 277v high bay light.

I had a Work Sharp given to me a few weeks ago and I used it for about an hour straight sharpening old work knives, a couple pairs of scissors and a few serrated knives. Its pretty handy and easy to use but It will never replace my DMT diamond stone set that I've had for 25+ years

Back
Top Bottom