• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

work lunches

mickbear

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
1   0
Reaction score
my wife and i have been bringing our lunches to work for 20 / 25 years now. the folks we work with are always asking about them such as " how long does it take?" "is it really worth it?" and so on. the wife was crunching some numbers the other day ( she has an accounting degree) and was showing me how much money we have saved over the years based on the average fast food meals. it was far more than i thought.
so with that said. i thought i would show what the typical weeks lunches are for us. most weeks i fix ( the wife doesn't cook, doesn't have, to she's the bread winner in this outfit ) a meat and two vegetable for one day then some kind of soup,stew Ect.. ( or basically what ever she has a taste for) the other day . this rotates back and forth for the week.
this week we are having a chicken corn chowder one day and meat loaf , baby Lima beans and white corn the other day.
this is the ingredients for the chowder family size can of cream of chicken soup, family size can of cream of mushroom soup, can of corn,can of diced potatoes , pint of chicken broth , and three cups ( total) of diced carrots,celery and onions. two cups of cooked de-boned chicken ( i had bought split chicken breast (0.88 cents a pound) last week to make marinated grilled chicken for lunches last week. i take and de bone the breast saving the bones skins and what meat is left on them , you would be surprised just how much ,and cook it down in a stock pot with chicken flavor powder salt and pepper and just enough water to cover them ) this is where the pint of chicken broth comes from which is so much better than the canned. add all the ingredients but the chicken ( its already cooked) to a crock pot and cook 5/6 hours on low, then add the chicken at the last 30 mins or so. after its cooked i put it in 2 cup sealing bowls . just grab one on the way out the door and your set.
KIMG0035.jpg

Attachments

• KIMG0041.jpg
    KIMG0041.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Yea it would be nice to be able to take my lunch everyday. But with my job there is no telling where I will be from day to day. Or we will be so far out that there wouldn't be a good way of storing it safely till lunch or heating it back up. Since convenient stores are mostly owned by Indians here they don't like you using their microwave. So I stock up on Dollar Store items to keep in my truck.

Excuses, Excuses,
Then take a peanut butter and honey sammich an a bag of chips one day
Sardines or Vienna sausages and crackers another.
Couple of slices of bread a can of tuna and some barbecue sauce and jalapenos (awesome deer camp recipe LOL) or packets of mayo and pickles will make a righteous sammich in the field. Many other canned meat products will do the same.
There are lots of fruits and veggies that dont need refrigeration or heat.
Use your imagination man, and maybe Google. You can save a metric ton of money.

Then fast food on a Pay day tastes REALLY good. :)

Yea it would be nice to be able to take my lunch everyday. But with my job there is no telling where I will be from day to day. Or we will be so far out that there wouldn't be a good way of storing it safely till lunch or heating it back up. Since convenient stores are mostly owned by Indians here they don't like you using their microwave. So I stock up on Dollar Store items to keep in my truck.
plan ahead is all you have to do ,for over 30 years my job had me in some of the most remote places in the eastern united states. hundreds of times iv packed in gps equipment and survey gear to places folks didnt think a person could get to. wide mouth thermos is the way to go chilie, stews, spaghetti all kinds of stuff will fit in one. sardines and crackers, i learned a long time ago are starvation rations.

Yea I get those from DG Vienna's stay behind the seat of my truck. If I get low at work ibrotate stock from home an build it back up. I'm not a soup or chili person unless is real cold. My problem is ill forget it and think about it when I get to work.

Yea I get those from DG Vienna's stay behind the seat of my truck. If I get low at work ibrotate stock from home an build it back up. I'm not a soup or chili person unless is real cold. My problem is ill forget it and think about it when I get to work.
trust me, i'v done that several times, and its always something like stuffed bell peppers , gumbo or something good like that.

Looks good. I always have trouble with my lunch plans. On this particular jobs sight I have a griddle so I just cook my meals. Packing or cooking breakfast and lunch saves a ton of money.

Can of soup,stew or anything you want hot, through it up on top of the engine when your driving.
the times i did that one years ago. i had a party chief one time that did that with his port clyde fish stakes ( like sardines ) in mustard sauce . stuck the can on top the engine just under the carb an forgot about them untill we heard a woosh sound then the smell hit us.

Back
Top Bottom