• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

WOOD WORK (ex: Cutting scale blanks on bandsaw)

A ban saw will give you the smallest kerf but making a good straight cut is more difficult (at least for me).
Do you have the means to stabilize the wood your self? Not sure how often you do stuff like this, but stabilizing a piece that thin shouldn't be to difficult. It would just take time. You might be able to save money buying bigger pieces and getting them down to size then stabilizing them before final shaping.
Just a thought.
I would love to see some finished pics

In a 1 bedroom apartment with wife and toddler. Can't buy power tools or stabilize my own wood. I'm wanting to use acrylic/wood hybrid blanks anyway which requires wprkwor with resin and a pressure chamber.
If I spend money on a 1.5" turning blank I want to get as much usable material as possible so it doesn't go to waste. I know making straight cuts takes a little more effort with a band saw, but that seems to be how a lot of people do it to save material.

Another project I want to work on is making some straight razor cases. That would require some router work to make a slot for the razor to fit in.

DADI03,
Do you have a wood shop, or at least a good bit of wood working tools?

I do, it's in shambles at the moment. Trying to get an addition done so a lot of stuff is crammed into the garage right now. I've never done precision type stuff but one day would like to give it a shot. More of a boot leg kinda guy. I have a table saw, miter saw, planner, scroll saw, bench sander, and drill press and a multitude of hand tools. I used to do some wood carving but never really got into it. I enjoyed it but I have very little time. I have 3 boys, between sports work and life there isn't much time left. My biggest problem with stuff like this is I am a close enough kinda guy, which doesn't work well with this type of work.

Back
Top Bottom