Wolf Ammo

Russian primers are known to be harder, ive literally picked up all "duds" ive had and put them in my surplus military guns just to have them fire just fine

Your experience is obviously different than mine.

I’m aware of differences in primer hardness. I also know what a primer looks like when it has been properly struck. In addition to dude primers, I’ve seen a lot of them where the primer pockets are too deep……deep enough that an in-spec firing pin will never adequately reach the primer to ignite it.

In addition to crap primers, I see a much higher percentage of other types of malfunctions with Russian steel-cased ammo, beyond failure to fire.

Every class that I run has at least half the class, and usually more, running Russian steel-cased ammo; pistol and carbine. That means for each class that I teach, I’m seeing a minimum of 6,000 rounds of it going down range IN EACH CLASS. I’m seeing a minimum of 150,000 rounds of it fired in my presence each year……and that is a conservative number.

Yes, it wears parts out faster, but it’s still cheaper in the long run…….or it was two years ago

In addition to being dirty, it has a very bright flash signature, that includes “shooting stars” of sparks. Not the best lowlight training fodder.

It took over 25,000 rounds of Silver Bear 223 to ruin my wife's AR barrel. I don't know many people who shoot as much as we do. I would not worry about barrel wear with cheap Russian ammo.
If steel ammo is even 10 cents cheaper per round, that's $2,500 savings.
Current price differential is 15 cents. That's $3,750 difference. Enough to rebarrel the AR AND buy another rifle with optics.

Russian steel-cased ammo is known for crap primers. It ain’t the gun in the vast majority of instances that I’ve seen when folks get a “click” instead of a “bang”. Good, solid strike mark, but no joy.
Exactly what I have experienced, though not often. I don't see nearly so many rounds as you do, but the only problems I've had were hard primers. Again, it has only happened a couple times with me, and I have shot a few thousand of them, but it happens just like you said. A perfect, hard center strike but no joy. I will add that it happened to me while using Brown Bear, not Wolf...And if I'm not mistaken, I had 2 of these misfires happen out of the same 50 round box.

I like steel cases for training or to save for a rainy day. They are, or were very inexpensive and abundant. I'm a big fan.

If you can find Barnaul I will recommend them as some of the best Russian steel case ammo I've ever used. Cleaner and more accurate. YMMV...Nothing wrong with Wolf, though.

Sold 500 rds of Wolf 45acp to a friend years ago. Took it shooting and he said it was so weak you could see the bullet go down range like a bb gun.

Back
Top Bottom