Winter Apocalypse 2015

DogLegArms

Default rank <2000 posts
Silencer Dealer
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
82   0
Reaction score
What preps are you doing to prepare for winter if it snows 2" and the state closes down? :)

I'm getting some chains for my truck and some firewood. That's about it.

WSB Kirk Mellish's winter outlook:

BOTTOM LINE FOR GEORGIA:

Below-normal temps on average

Above-normal precipitation

Above normal snowfall

Elevated ice storm risk

One or two disruptive winter storms Jan-March timeframe, probably no early spring

Higher than usual confidence in the outlook, especially regarding temperatures.

http://m.wsbradio.com/weblogs/kirk-m...ecast-2014-15/

Last edited:
What preps are you doing to prepare for winter if it snows 2" and the state closes down? :)

I'm getting some chains for my truck and some firewood. That's about it.

Same as last year. Just make sure I have plenty of gas for the generator so I can continue working if the power goes out. Enough food and water for a week. That's pretty much it. We don't have to commute much, so we don't have to go out and encounter the moronic general public that often if we don't want to.

Same as last year. Just make sure I have plenty of gas for the generator so I can continue working if the power goes out. Enough food, water, and liquor for a week. That's pretty much it. We don't have to commute much, so we don't have to go out and encounter the moronic general public that often if we don't want to.

FTFY

I lived in Colorado. The failure of Georgians in just the slightest bit of snow or ice is comical to me.

Already got a duffle ready to put in wife's SUV....she got a CRV so I'm not worried about her making it in the snow/ice. I'm worried she will get traffic jammed like last year. Blanket, power bars, water, flashlight with extra batts, glow sticks, crackers, book to read, extra wool socks, etc., just in case she needs to camp out in the truck because of other idiots.

Sold the 540 and now driving this thing....I don't plan on getting stuck again and if I do I can idle for days with diesel or used oil.
attachment.php

I have a barn full of firewood, tested fireplace this weekend. Bottled water is GTG, 500g of water outside in rain barrels.
All tires I buy are highly rated for snow and ice. Do not needs studs or chains.

Just remember, if you have a pick-up truck, you HAVE TO HAVE weight in the bed for the chains on your rear tires to work. No weight--no traction. 4WD will not help much, if it becomes open differential FWD only. Back home (Alaska) I carried my summer tires and rims in the truck, as well as a dozen of empty milk jugs filled with water. FWD Kia had good all-seasons and never got stuck. Just have to keep the momentum going up the hill and thru the snow.

To get going on the ice, start in the 3rd gear, so you do not spin the tires. My buddy blew a half shaft of his minivan thru the transmission case while spinning the tires. Left a nice round hole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom