• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Wicked edge

Make sure you mark the edge with a Sharpie to find the correct angle that your knife is already ground. If you want to re-profile to a new angle, then it is gonna take a lot of work. Once you get used to it, then you can get a "wicked edge".

I still use a free hand Arkansas stone for my knives on a weekly basis, but even up the angles occasionally on a friends Wicked Edge.

I also ran into this issue of reprofiling the edge. If you don't keep the angle that it comes from the factory with then you are in for and hour or so of reprofiling

I wish I knew how to sharpen on a stone. That's old school awesome.

I grew up sharpening the knives of my relatives when they skinned a deer, so I've been working with a stone since I was a kid. My 9 year old daughter picked up a Kabar folder at last year's Blade Show, and she has been practicing sharpening on a stone. You can feel/hear it it when you miss the right angle. She is saving up for a Benchmade mini-Griptillian for this year's show.

Once you can sharpen a piece of steel on a rock, the rest of "survivalist" training is a piece of cake!

I grew up sharpening the knives of my relatives when they skinned a deer, so I've been working with a stone since I was a kid. My 9 year old daughter picked up a Kabar folder at last year's Blade Show, and she has been practicing sharpening on a stone. You can feel/hear it it when you miss the right angle. She is saving up for a Benchmade mini-Griptillian for this year's show.

Once you can sharpen a piece of steel on a rock, the rest of "survivalist" training is a piece of cake!

Teach em young! That's awesome!

So I bit the billet and bought the wicked edge pro pack 2 and a buddy sharpened one of my knives with his. I watched the YouTube videos but can get the same results he did. Any advice?

I recently ordered the Pro Pak 1 and looks like it will be delivered on Monday. I'm anxious to get at it as well.

I looked on the Wicked Edge site and found a FAQ that discusses your problem. Since you have a new WE, it appears it takes a few sharpenings before the diamond stones are "broken in". Sounds like a firearm :)

I'm planning on practicing with some cheap kitchen knives on it first before any of my better quality knives. That should help in the breakin process, and any learning curve mistakes will be done with knives I don't care about.

Here is the link: http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index....would-be-whats-going-wrong&catid=31&Itemid=46

Last edited:
Over the weekend I spent several hours sharpening several kitchen knives with the Wicked Edge. The knives are pretty much crap so I wasn't going to lose sleep if I screwed up. Over the years I have used a Chef's Choice 110 which did a decent job, but the edge's didn't last too long and it was very uneven for any type of curved blade.

I noticed after the third or fourth knife the diamond stones were starting to cut better, so I guess there really is a short breakin-in period. After a little learning curve I got the hang of the basics and the WE did a pretty good job on those knives. I put a new angle on all of them to undo the inconsistancy of the Chef's Choice over years and only progressed from 100 to 600. I have not yet tried the 800/1000 yet nor the strops. For these knives I didn't see much need since at 600 they were still a vast improvement over the Chef's choice. I put a 20 degree angle on most of them and all of them cut much better than they have in 20 years. Not bad for a first shot with this contraption. We'll see if they hold an edge better than in the past.

BTW, I'm pretty much a newby to sharpening and am horrible at using a stone. I've tried but I just don't keep a consistant angle. Not in my blood :)

I've got 3 Spyderco knives but they are practically brand new so no need to even touch up yet. But I am digging this contraption so far. I haven't even put a real wicked edge on a knife yet, but already my crap knives are sharper than they've ever been.

Last edited:
Over the weekend I spent several hours sharpening several kitchen knives with the Wicked Edge. The knives are pretty much crap so I wasn't going to lose sleep if I screwed up. Over the years I have used a Chef's Choice 110 which did a decent job, but the edge's didn't last too long and it was very uneven for any type of curved blade.

I noticed after the third or fourth knife the diamond stones were starting to cut better, so I guess there really is a short breakin-in period. After a little learning curve I got the hang of the basics and the WE did a pretty good job on those knives. I put a new angle on all of them to undo the inconsistancy of the Chef's Choice over years and only progressed from 100 to 600. I have not yet tried the 800/1000 yet nor the strops. For these knives I didn't see much need since at 600 they were still a vast improvement over the Chef's choice. I put a 20 degree angle on most of them and all of them cut much better than they have in 20 years. Not bad for a first shot with this contraption. We'll see if they hold an edge better than in the past.

BTW, I'm pretty much a newby to sharpening and am horrible at using a stone. I've tried but I just don't keep a consistant angle. Not in my blood :)

I've got 3 Spyderco knives but they are practically brand new so no need to even touch up yet. But I am digging this contraption so far. I haven't even put a real wicked edge on a knife yet, but already my crap knives are sharper than they've ever been.

I keep hittin the vise with my stones trying to do a 22 degree angle on a Keyshawn. You have any problems like that?

I keep hittin the vise with my stones trying to do a 22 degree angle on a Keyshawn. You have any problems like that?

Not that particular problem but I noticed the top tighetning screw sticking through the right jaw prevents the right stone from making contact with the blade - this with a small thin paring knife. Other than that I haven't encountered a problem like you describe. I read somewhere you can invert the angles on the base of the arms to get under 15 degrees, but I don't know how low it will go yet. Of course much depends on the height of the blade above the jaws.

Back
Top Bottom