• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why did this timing belt fail at only 60k miles?

I agree with the others, valves definitely touched pistons and would be best to have a valve job at the very least before reassembly.

I would also clean the pistons really well and bring them all the way to the surface to look for any small cracks along the top of the ringland.

I’ve seen cracked ringlands cause intermittent misfires but compression test will read normal.

Those valves are so small I doubt they’d crack a piston but you never know

I decided to replace the entire head. New valves, cams, rocker arms, and lifters on a freshly cut and cleaned head for $500. The valves are even adjusted. I highly recommend Cylinder Head Exchange in Marietta. Jay has done great work for me several times in the past and he even had a 30yr old Honda head in stock and ready to go.

20221022_173305.jpg

Age and heat also play a part is aging belts. Years ago I worked for a fleet shop and we did long term durability testing for Ford, GM, Gates and a few others. I saw Gates belts go 300,000 miles with zero failures on 25 test vehicles. Some of those belts were still on the trucks when they were sold.

I decided to replace the entire head. New valves, cams, rocker arms, and lifters on a freshly cut and cleaned head for $500. The valves are even adjusted. I highly recommend Cylinder Head Exchange in Marietta. Jay has done great work for me several times in the past and he even had a 30yr old Honda head in stock and ready to go.

View attachment 4871586
That was a smart decision.

View attachment 4871586
Man, you gotta get a report back from him on your old head! We gots to know!

Back
Top Bottom