• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whole home water filter recommendations needed

I jmhave one, but I want a whole house Filter. one that changes the Ph as well, as the berkey I have does 1000’s of gal ok on 1 faucet. I want something good cover the whole house

If you are looking for a whole house filter that changes pH, it will be one like I posted. And I would check with your county office because I know ours does not test for things like pH, Iron levels, etc. They only test for e-coli and general bacteria. We had to send off to a private facility to be tested, and there are different levels of testing. We're on a well so we opted for the most expensive level of testing where they tested for pretty much everything (it was in the hundreds), and it cost about $200. If you just want to test for pH and Iron, it shouldn't be that expensive.

If you are looking for a whole house filter that changes pH, it will be one like I posted. And I would check with your county office because I know ours does not test for things like pH, Iron levels, etc. They only test for e-coli and general bacteria. We had to send off to a private facility to be tested, and there are different levels of testing. We're on a well so we opted for the most expensive level of testing where they tested for pretty much everything (it was in the hundreds), and it cost about $200. If you just want to test for pH and Iron, it shouldn't be that expensive.

The extension agents have two separate tests. One for e coli and bacteria and the other for ph, iron, calcium, minerals etc. The the mineral test is $20, I've never had the bacteria test done. We have a new well that we have yet to hook up because it has high sodium and aluminum content. The whole house filter recommendation is to go with a reverse osmosis system which runs about $4k, so I am in a holding pattern looking for options.

My home was originally built with copper pipes but in GA the water eats it so the copper was cut and capped and replaced with PVC. That goes for any other plumbing for showers, sinks and toilets. I had replaced my kitchen faucet 7 times because the chrome plated copper would rot and get holes in it. The shower neck was also chrome plated and it leaked behind the wall. Everything is plastic now.

The extension agents have two separate tests. One for e coli and bacteria and the other for ph, iron, calcium, minerals etc. The the mineral test is $20, I've never had the bacteria test done. We have a new well that we have yet to hook up because it has high sodium and aluminum content. The whole house filter recommendation is to go with a reverse osmosis system which runs about $4k, so I am in a holding pattern looking for options.

That's good then because it will be cheaper. Our county didn't offer the options beyond e coli/bacteria. Not sure what to do with sodium and aluminum, but it seems like there should be some filtration media available to address the issue, and then you could use a filter like the one I have. For us it was calcite for pH and flomag for the iron.

Pelican has a nice whole house filtration system. You will spend around 1500 for it but it works great. Has a million gallon cycle before changing out filters.
If your house is from the late 70s to early 80s then you could have got a bad batch of copper that was notorious for pin hole leaks. If you have open ceilings also make sure that your copper pipes aren’t touching against other metals. This can cause electrolysis. Also wouldn’t be a bad thing to check and see if your home is grounded properly. If you are in a single story home, it wouldn’t be to difficult to swap copper to PEX piping.

Back
Top Bottom