• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who is hunting with thier AR?

Im gettin an AR this year to hunt with. Had a bushy and shot one small buck that dropped where he was standing. Gonna go with somethin a little bigger that 223 this time.

I took 4 last season with my 6.8. This year I'm going to load up some 5.56 to hunt with. I've read alot of good things about Sierra 65gr Gameking bullets. I'll be working up a deer load with those this summer.

300 blk- short, sweet, quiet. 3 deer, 2 coyote, raccoon, and 1 opposum last season. The black puts 'em all down. For those who will say something - yes it's legal to hunt with a sbr, just not suppressed - yet... Barnes TTSX bullets kill everything dead fast.

Last edited:
for the last few years I have killed several deer and yotes with my AR's in 223/5.56, from 15 yards out to 182 yards, never lost a single one, never had to put another shot in one to finish it off. The 2223 /5.56 is plenty for Ga deer , but there are better options but if you know your capabilities and limits , then itsjust fine

When I lived in New Mexico I hunted Predators with my AR. Wasn't allowed to hunt anything else with them though as New Mexico requires at least a .24 caliber bullet for all other game.

Since moving to Georgia I haven't hunted anything. Haven't quite figured out GA's hunting regs yet. To use to half the state being public land.

Its cool in Ga.... .22mag... 17hrm... BLAST away sharpshooter. I use a .17 when I call them up.

I have heard several people say that .223 is not big enough to hunt deer with....what do you guys think? As someone who has been hunting with longbows and stone points for the last six years I have heard those same remarks but it hasn't stopped me yet but I want to get a consensus.

I have killed deer before with .223 single shot. It'll work, just don't throw the shot

Back
Top Bottom