• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who else has run into a shipping facility owner that doesn't know gun shipping law?

The frame is a firearm, even if disassembled. Gotta follow all federal laws and regs regarding shipping of a firearm if the serialized part is being shipped.

You can ship a firearm in state via Fed-Ex or USPS. I could ship you one right now.

Last edited:
You can ship a firearm in state via Fed-Ex or USPS. I could ship you one right now. I've had apprx. 5-6 firearms shipped to me via private sell.

But you still have to declare it as such. Long guns can be shipped via USPS or Common Carrier. Handguns by Common Carrier only. And you must declare that the package contains a firearm. A lot of people try to get around Fed-Ex's policy requiring overnight shipping for firearms by disassembling it and calling it machined parts or the like. Federal law requires you to let the shipper know it is a firearm. Big no-no.

I'm not saying that I have any personal experience with this, but...

Let's say that I know for a FACT that it is 100% legal to ship a GUN with a certain carrier. Now, let's say I bring my boxed up GUN to one of their shipping locations and am told by a misinformed clerk that they can't ship my GUN.

Instead of trying to explain the law to the clerk, who probably doesn't care anyway, I think I would just go to another shipping location. At the new location I would ship my box of properly insured, MACHINED METAL PARTS to a legal recipient.

This is just all hypothetical of course. LOL!

Last edited:
I'm not saying that I have any personal experience with this, but...

Let's say that I know for a FACT that it is 100% legal to ship a GUN with a certain carrier. Now, let's say I bring my boxed up GUN to one of their shipping locations and am told by a misinformed clerk that they can't ship my GUN.

Instead of trying to explain the law to the clerk, who probably doesn't care anyway, I think I would just go to another shipping location. At the new location I would ship my box of properly insured, MACHINED METAL PARTS to a legal recipient.

This is just all hypothetical of course. LOL!

Then you would be violating Federal Law as it clearly states that when using a common carrier to ship your firearm (the serialized part) that you MUST DECLARE that it is a firearm.

I shipped a shotgun to a guy in Savannah via USPS.
The postal worker at the counter gave me crap about not being allowed to ship a long gun thru USPS until I showed him the section of USPS regulations I had found online and printed out.
He was pissed & embarrassed but accepted my package.

I went to UPS Distribution Customer Center off of Fulton Industrial (only main distribution centers will ship according to my local UPS Store) with a shotgun, all disassembled, boxed up, taped up and ready to go. When the UPS clerk ask me the value and contents, and I told her, her eyes got big and she excused herself. She came back with a manager and they first said I had to be an FFL to ship it, then asked me to open it up so they could look it over, then they asked if it was unloaded (remember it was completely disassembled mind you). After 30 mins of me explaining the law and their own shipping policy (using my iPhone and their website), they finally shipped it.

Back
Top Bottom