• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where Would I Have the Best Chance of Finding a Business Partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent almost 3 months jumping through hoops for a career investor. They pulled out after they breached their due diligence period with no reasoning given. I‘ve already lost one contract and now I’m at risk of losing two more. I‘ve had a rough 9 months of what seems like bad luck that’s left me struggling to take care of my family let alone sink more money into my business.

Starting my company took everything I had and I’ve put more effort into this than anything in my life. I did all this to give those I care about a better life and its been nothing but them making sacrifices for me when it should be the other way around. All I want is to work my ass off to build my business and keep my family secure, seems like its been almost impossible.

If anyone could provide me with advise or point me in the right direction it would mean the world to me.
have you looked at companies that specifically provide contract financing? I've known of some smaller manufacturers that have used contract specific loans for working capital to take jobs.

Trying to grow too fast has caused problems for many small businesses .
At least it did for my trucking biz ,
I made so much money with me driving one rig that I bought three more and hired or attempted to hire three drivers .
It was a disaster .
The hired drivers worked almost exactly 66% as hard as I did and were able to damage and destroy trucks and break things like I couldn’t believe .

I finally had enough and just sold them all and got a normal job .

Figure out how to sub contract out the business you already have .

And figure out how to be profitable staying small without alot of overhead
I’ve been subbing out a lot of the work I get when I can. Biggest issue is I’ll need a warehouse and small office to start working for Dish, Verizon, AT&T, SBA, or Crown directly. My goal is to keep as little overhead as possible and expand little by little once I build up my professional relationship with the direct vendors.

Stay away from partners of any kind. Get a loan before a partner. If you show a track record of profitability and future contracts are documented, you should be able to get financing. NO PARTNER!!!! Subs are a reflection of your company. Be very weary of any sub. They better have all required documentation, licensing and an extensive list of references over the last 5 years or more.
Subs in the tower industry are beyond hit or miss. I had a sub crew that all would get hammered every night and take 3x-4x longer on site than necessary. Had another get an entire equipment add done in 8 hours total when the job should have taken 2 days at least.

I want to build 1-3 solid internal crews of guys I personally know that will get the work done. Last thing I want to do is put a sub on direct work and risk my contracts or professional reputation.

ODT is definitely the best place to look, if you dont find it here it aint no where to be found!
Sarcasm aside, ODT has been a wonderful community resource for me over the years. I’ve met guys with all kinds of backgrounds and knowledge that are more than willing to go out of their way for our little community. You never know who you could be talking to.

have you looked at companies that specifically provide contract financing? I've known of some smaller manufacturers that have used contract specific loans for working capital to take jobs.
I actually have not. Any recommendations?

I actually have not. Any recommendations?
I've only researched it a little looking at account receivable loans for a couple of projects that had 90 day pay cycles that required almost all our capital. One of my sales guys utilized that type of financing at a previous employer and recommended it. We worked out a play that gave 5% discount for a 15 day payment which solved that problem. It was a few points cheaper than financing.
It seems very applicable to your situation, I can get the names tomorrow from the sales guy and pass along. The whole thing was very straightforward.
I would check local places as well, face to face for these types of things can be beneficial.
davidallencapital.com

I just spent almost 3 months jumping through hoops for a career investor. They pulled out after they breached their due diligence period with no reasoning given. I‘ve already lost one contract and now I’m at risk of losing two more. I‘ve had a rough 9 months of what seems like bad luck that’s left me struggling to take care of my family let alone sink more money into my business.

Starting my company took everything I had and I’ve put more effort into this than anything in my life. I did all this to give those I care about a better life and its been nothing but them making sacrifices for me when it should be the other way around. All I want is to work my ass off to build my business and keep my family secure, seems like its been almost impossible.

If anyone could provide me with advise or point me in the right direction it would mean the world to me.
If you are working hard and not seeing rewards then continuing to do what you are doing is going to keep getting you what you are getting. You need to figure out as another has said, “where the money suck is”. Either the business model is flawed, you aren’t managing correctly, you are being stolen blind by employees, your crews aren’t productive enough, you aren’t charging enough or you are so severely under capitalized that you aren’t going to ever be able to reach critical mass. You need to figure this out before you burn out and put your family in worse financial peril. Though there may be the rare exception out there most people aren’t looking for a partner, especially in a business that has volume, no assets and is bleeding cash. They will just go set up a similar business without the baggage. I have heard of SCORE but never had any dealings with them. It might be an avenue to get some advice, insights or at least someone to talk to that can help you figure this out. Best of luck, I was self employed most of my life, it’s great except when it’s not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom