• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where to Ride Motorcycle/ Dirt Bike ?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
My great nephew has recently been given a used dirtbike by his father,
but the father doesn't have a way of transporting it and they don't know of any place to ride it (legally). Now, up at my hunting property in the woods the trails are much too narrow and steep to try to teach beginner how to ride! This kid needs to learn on some fairly gentle dirt roads that are wide, fairly level, and don't have a lot of huge craters or mudholes in them. The kid needs to develop basic skills.

One of my adult friends still has his dirt bike that he used 30 years ago, and if he gets it tuned up he and I could take turns using it to guide the kid around a trail or dirt track,
or just a follow the kid and keep an eye on him in case he takes a spill and need some assistance.

Does anyone know of private property dirt trails within an hour's drive of Marietta maybe someplace close to Canton, Cartersville, south of Rome, maybe around Rockmart or Cedartown? Somewhere west of Douglasville or maybe in the vicinity of Newnan or Carrollton?

The don't have to be purpose-built dirt bike and ATV trails; they could be just private logging roads or dirt or gravel driveways on some unused vacant commercial property or timber land. With the landowners permission or under circumstances where it's clear the land owner doesn't care. ( I used to know some property that was owned by an absentee property owner, some business investment financier from Saudi Arabia who had no intention of developing that hundred acre parcel of property for decades, but other people in the meanwhile used it for dirt bike riding, shooting hunting camping, etc.).
But now years later that property HAS been developed, and all the other places that I used to go dirt bike riding camping and shooting 22s in the woods when I was a kid growing up in Cobb County have all been turned into shopping centers and subdivisions!

I would happily borrow a pickup truck and rent a low-deck landscaping trailer to take these dirt bikes out 50 or 70 miles away from Marietta, but I'd like to identify some places where we could ride. I'm not familiar with the real estate that far out.

A5A8C725-9F2D-4C85-A6DF-3B5A1CCE3D32.jpeg
A7A06B9C-313E-4404-8FBB-BD36593A47A0.jpeg

Two random photos borrowed from the internet, just to catch your eye.

Highland Park in Cedartown. Rode there for years before selling my bike. Great place with full KTM shop and dealership. Can camp there as well. Moto Mountain used to be a decent place close to Calhoun but I'm not sure if they are still open.

Moto Mountain is closed. Highland Park is my favorite. Everything you could want there.

Might try Talking Rock Arena also. It is just north of Jasper. I haven’t been there in a while but they had a small area for pee wees that might work for you. Maybe drive by to check it out before renting a truck to go there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moto Mountain is closed. Highland Park is my favorite. Everything you could want there.

Might try Talking Rock Arena also. It is just north of Jasper. I haven’t been there in a while but they had a small area for pee wees that might work for you. Maybe drive by to check it out before renting a truck to go there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did Moto Mountain close? I used to go there 3-4 times each summer many years ago. It was bada**.

That sucks to hear. Their plans were ambitious. They were talking about cabins and rentals last time I was there. I got into dual sports and never made it back.

Outside your range, but Durhamtown Plantation has a good reputation. I've driven by it, seems to well run organization.
Durhamtown is a freaking blast. We rented a camper there for a weekend and it was one of the best weekends I've ever had. Ride all day, go back and grill out drink some beers and they would have music and parties right at the shop area.

Back
Top Bottom