Where are they now?

Kyzrsoze

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
188   0
Reaction score
This morning I was running down the list of cars that I've owned, remembering some fondly and some with mild hatred. Of the lot the one I still miss is my second car - a 1979 Z-28. In the late 80s Chevy started putting the 4.3 liter engine in the S-10 and had to have one, so I traded my Z-28 for my first new car.

1979.jpg

I have often wondered what happened to it - is it sitting restored in a garage? up on blocks in someone's yard? If I had the VIN I'd try to track it down with Carfax, but that info is long missing. It's the one car I would track down and buy again - if I could find it.

So what's your long lost automotive love?

[B said:
GeauxLSU[/B];3668571]Any chance you could track down the VIN via your old insurance carrier?
I never had anything I care to see again. The only fun one I had I drove until the wheels came off.

To be honest much time has passed and I have no idea which insurance company I was with back then.

[B said:
galvatron[/B];3668575]You traded that for an s-10???? A typhoon or a cyclone maybe but a 4.3 powered s-10......
Were you on drugs?

To quote a favorite comedian: "I know - I'm in the future now too."

To be fair, you have to remember that this was 1987. My car was nice, but at the time it wasn't a classic - just an 8 year old car with 150k miles on it. The new 1988 model cars were just coming out, and GM had just begun offering new engines with electronic fuel injection in place of carburetors. What I really wanted back then was a new IROC with a 350 (mullet car!) or a just introduced new body style Silverado, but I couldn't afford anything that expensive. A year later I got my first real job and could afford a little more.

Any chance you could track down the VIN via your old insurance carrier?
I never had anything I care to see again. The only fun one I had I drove until the wheels came off.

It probably didn't have a 17 digit VIN
So carfax won't have any info on it

I dunno about camaros. But GM didn't start using the long numbers on the pickups till 81 or 82

To be honest much time has passed and I have no idea which insurance company I was with back then.

To quote a favorite comedian: "I know - I'm in the future now too."

To be fair, you have to remember that this was 1987. My car was nice, but at the time it wasn't a classic - just an 8 year old car with 150k miles on it. The new 1988 model cars were just coming out, and GM had just begun offering new engines with electronic fuel injection in place of carburetors. What I really wanted back then was a new IROC with a 350 (mullet car!) or a just introduced new body style Silverado, but I couldn't afford anything that expensive. A year later I got my first real job and could afford a little more.

Yep. I've owned and sold lots of cars that at the time were just worn out gas guzzling Junkers that no one wanted. Including me .

Every now valuable old car, at some point , was a worthless old clunker .

The only 2 vehicles I wish I still had
1) my 1988 Toyota 4x4

2) my 2004 Taco Double Cab TRD 4x4 that I drove upside down for a short distance... :(

And yes, I firmly believe Jesus was ridding shotgun on the second one, or I wouldn't be here right now.

Sadly with the increase in the price of scrap metal many of these gems have probably been crushed. Breaks my heart to see some of the rides come past my shop heading to the salvage yard. Even worse is hearing my brother in laws cousin telling me about some that they have crushed. Its sickening but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

Back
Top Bottom