What's this worth - Colt AR15 upper

thegiantmidget

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
I have a Colt A2 upper with a 20" HBAR. This was a gift. I'm thinking of going a different direction (A1 barrel, A2 / A3 upper, or possibly a straight A3 20"). What can I realistically expect to get for the upper? I would prefer to keep my bolt / carrier.

Condition is very good. I'd say 8-8.5/10. 600 or so rounds through it.

Last edited:
I think I'll hold out. Hah. Seriously, I need a frame of reference. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to sell the Colt A2 to fund an A3 style upper, of if I'd be better off holding onto it and saving my nickels and dimes until I can afford a new upper.

Yet another option is to purchase a stripped A3 and plug my 20" HBAR into it... Except I don't know how!

Very easy actually. You will need an action block and a vice, and I'm sure somebody on the ODT may loan you one, a 1/16 pin punch, and a brass or Rubber hammer, along with an armorers wrech. It is well advised to buy a new gas tube and gas tube roll pin.

1. Place the current upper in the action block in the vice.
2. Using the 1/16 punch and rubber/brass mallet, drive out the gas tube role pin.
3. Remove handguards by pushing delta back towards action block and lifting them away, may be a little tricky.
4. Push the gas tube towards the reciever and then lift up and out.
5. Using your armorers wrench, unscrew the barrel nut.
6. After barrel nut is unscrewed, remove barrel and upper from eachother and set aside.
7. Insert the stripped A3 upper into your action block.
8. Using any form of moly grease *Wheelbearing grease with moly disulphide*, lubricate the threads. THis is important as it protects the threads during torqing.
9. Your 20"Hbar will have a 'peg' towards the reciever end of the barrel. Your reciver will also have a notch in the threads. align these two and insert Hbar barrel into a3 assy.
10. Using a torque wrench, torque the barrel nut to approx 70-80ft/lbs of torque*may wanna read up as my numbers may be wrong*. Also keep in mind that you have to line up the holes in the delta pack with the gas tube port in the reciever.
11. After aligning the gas tube holes on both the reciever and delta pack, insert new gas tube into reciever, and then back into the FSP.
12, looking through the hole, make sure that your gas tube's indention will align with the gas tube roll pin. Special care must be taken to keep it aligned as to not gouge the gas tube during insertion oft he roll pin.
13. Once you have driven the roll pin flush, depress the delta pack once more to reinsert handguards.
14. Insert your BCG and Charging handle into your a3 upper, and reinstall onto lower. It is advised to Rerun PMC's at this point to ensure functionality.

With BCG, without a lot of wear I would say between $400-500 depending, I would subtract $100-150 without BCG. Granted a lot of people will mark a Colt upper for $600+ because it is a colt. Swapping the receiver portion is a real option. You could always walk a gun show and try to get a colt guy to drool on it and buy it for $700 though, lol.

Thank for for the price reference and information on swapping barrels. If someone will lend me the tools (not going to purchase them as I cannot at present afford to put them to good use on multiple assemblies), I am probably going to plug my 20" HBAR into a stripped A3 if I can figure it out.

If not, I may try to sell my Colt A2. If I let my Colt Police Positive .38 go with it, I can probably afford a nice A3 upper and an optic for it. Thoughts?

Thank for for the price reference and information on swapping barrels. If someone will lend me the tools (not going to purchase them as I cannot at present afford to put them to good use on multiple assemblies), I am probably going to plug my 20" HBAR into a stripped A3 if I can figure it out.

If not, I may try to sell my Colt A2. If I let my Colt Police Positive .38 go with it, I can probably afford a nice A3 upper and an optic for it. Thoughts?

Depends on the upper you choose and how you sell the upper. If you get say $400 for the upper without BCG then I would say yes, get a BCM upper, standard 16 inch throw in the Colt BCG and with the proceeds from the police positive then I suspect you very well should be able to get a decent Aimpoint or comparable optic. Otherwise you are likely going to be pulling money out of your own pocket to set it up as you like.

Back
Top Bottom