• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whatever happened to the old school ribeye....

Hogdaddy

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
51   0
Reaction score
My wife bought these two dry aged ribeyes at whole foods yesterday. They look like new york strips but with marbling. Remember when rib eyes came with the spinalis steak attached. That band of goodness on the outer edge of the steak. When did it become fashionable to separate the spinalis. God I miss old school rib eyes, does anyone still sell them whole?
576FD02A-B01C-4F1D-A806-BDFECC9941F5.jpeg

I thought the exact same thing the last two times I ordered a ribeye at Longhorns. Just not the same cut. I mentioned to the waitress that it was good, but I thought I had been served a strip by mistake. I’m about ready to give up on store bought steaks and just do whole tenderloins on the smoker for the week.

Attachments

• IMG_4063.jpeg
    IMG_4063.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4065.jpeg
    IMG_4065.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 15
My wife bought these two dry aged ribeyes at whole foods yesterday. They look like new york strips but with marbling. Remember when rib eyes came with the spinalis steak attached. That band of goodness on the outer edge of the steak. When did it become fashionable to separate the spinalis. God I miss old school rib eyes, does anyone still sell them whole? View attachment 6648251
When I got a 7 lb standing rib roast at Publix the other day, I had the butcher cut it into 2 inch steaks. He cut the spinalis off and I took it home vacuum sealed it to eat later.

as the cut travels up the pirmal, the meat changes qualities....you can actually get a "rib eye" that is also a "NY strip" ...BUT they are all good!!!
love the marbling!!!

Back
Top Bottom