• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What truck to buy

I've been in chevys since 08 (company vehicles) . I'm on my 3rd one now. We've kept them in the company till about 300k before they were sold. The third one is diesel though.

5.0 or 3.5 eco boost is the only way to go right now

From what I understand, Ford has managed to screw up the 5.0 in later model F-150's, they're having major oil consumption issues. Apparently they put some type of sleeve on the cylinder walls to cut down on cost, and it has bit them in the ass.

I don't know how in the world they managed to screw up one of the most rock solid, trusted engines in their line up for the last 5 decades, but they did just that.

From what I understand, Ford has managed to screw up the 5.0 in later model F-150's, they're having major oil consumption issues. Apparently they put some type of sleeve on the cylinder walls to cut down on cost, and it has bit them in the ass.

I don't know how in the world they managed to screw up one of the most rock solid, trusted engines in their line up for the last 5 decades, but they did just that.
Oil consumption issues is usually due to people babying them way to often, not letting things seat properly and from what I’ve seen the oil consumption issues are a thing of the past.

Some still have phaser issues, but Chevy and dodge have dod and mds that shut you down to 4 cylinders at highway speeds, when you floor it you may get oil pressure to build back up in the lifters. Or they stay collapsed or extended and start chewing your cam up.
Say what you want but if I buy a v8 I want 8 cylinders all the time, not a Honda at cruising speeds. That’s one thing I respect about Ford.

It’s easier to pop the front cover and do timing/phasers than to drop the whole front end, oil pan, pull both heads, and the timing cover to change the camshaft on the Chevy/dodge It’s a lot more common than you’d think too.

I have seen some 5.0 ford trucks usually white company trucks with extremely high idle times that create razor thin valves on the two cylinders closest to the firewall but it’s very rare and limited to certain years with tons of idle time compared to drive time.

Ask me how I know ;)

It seems like most new ford's have the 6 cylinder eco boost. Are those any good?
Anything has reported issues, the eco boost is very strong. Tons of torque more than the 5.0. I loved the last two I owned. I went to a navigator with the 3.5 eb for more room to carry more babies. Plus great towing capacity, the trucks have a known driveshaft issue.. I think it’s just too much power for a two piece steel driveshaft in the 2wd models.
most 4wd models have a one piece aluminum drive shaft which are much stronger.

Has had reported phaser issues, carbon buildup on back of valves fixed on the newer models with port and direct injection to clean back of valves, earlier ones have chain stretch issues well certain year models. Bottom line probably just shy of 200k you can expect turbo replacements or rebuilds but the blocks are invincible and you can get tonsss of power if you’re into doing upgrades and mods.

I’ve seen stock eco boost hold 700+ hp/tq stock everything just need new fuel rail for e85 and tune. But you couldn’t expect that to last driving it everyday without more reinforcements.

Newer models are upgraded for more power my 2018 had 375 hp/ 475 ft lb of torque in a truck that weighs 4200lbs with a 10 spd trans was super fast.

I think the newer ones are 400hp/500tq

've been in chevy for a long time and they've been good. I also like fords. Dodges scare me. Have dodge gotten better? I've had very bad luck with

All input is appreciated.

Question- What are you using the trick for? This must be answers before looking for a vehicle.

One you have a purpose, then you look for the truck that fits your needs however, don’t just think about your immediate needs, also consider future needs.

I have been a Chevy guy all my life until I needed a truck to haul 29k-32k 5th wheel up and down steep grades when we go on vacations or work trip as I’d Haul the RV with me for lodging purposes.

You must do Tons of research into reliability over all.

I look at Capability Over brand now.

What I ended up with is a (New to me w/ 5k miles at the time of purchase) 2019 Ram 3500 DRW, LB, CC, Cummins (i6) with and Aisin Tranny 4x4.

I was never a Dodge fan either however, I had to look at the numbers of what o needed to haul...

The Chevy (no matter the package in LD/ HD trucks) runs a 3:73 axel ratio in the rear.... Chevys are great for Milage as that is what their power trains are built for in the HD market however, when pulling steep grades w/ heavy loads , the Axel can not handle the weight behind is and will fail. Tons of examples of this all over the internet as well as the Hotshot &RV communities.

The Ram, Chevy and Ford all have the choice of the following axel ratio:

3:73

The Ram and Ford have the choice of the following axel ratios:

3:73 , 4:10 , 4:73

So I looked at the capabilities of the HD each axels, (4:10 & 4:73).... I’m not gonna lie, I am not a Ford fan what so ever however if that brand had the capabilities I needed, I would unhappily make the change.

Both the 4:10 and 4:73 are exactly the same across Ram and Ford! Here is the difference between the two ratios stated directly above.

One can haul more than the other by a significant amount & Sucks more fuel doing it.

The same truck with a 4:73 axel will drain your wallet... both brand trucks with it are very nice if your hauling some serious weight!

My MPG is below I get for the setup I get.

The 4:10 axel is the sweet spot for our families needs. The Power trainee have (listed above), coupled with the 4:10. axel will hall a significant amount more weight without issue than what the RV’s weight loaded down.

This truck listed above gets 16.8 MPG w/o a load on HWY running 68 miles and hour.

This truck listed above gets 10- 12.6 MPG w/o a load in town running speed limits in stop and go....

******* This truck listed above gets 12.4 MPG w/ a load on HWY running 58-62 miles and hour.

Here is another tip... look at maintenance for the truck as well.

• Ram- to get to the engine for work- your remove the front clip and you have access. By maintenance software mechanics use, it is a 3.5-4 hour job in labor costs.

• Ford and Chevy the entire cab must be unbolted from the chassis to get to the engine. By maintenance software mechanics use, it is a 7-8 hour job in labor costs.

Yup you guessed it, I’m a right lane driver with or without a load 🤪

I hope this helps.

I’m happy to discuss further if you need additional Q’s answered. Text before ya call otherwise I will immediately block that number as I don’t answer calls from number I don’t have a name associated with.

•••••••••• If your looking for a rig to haul a HD load, you need to understand what to top end of those loads weigh before you purchase....

If you haul loads that come close to your GVRW you may wanna go up is vehicle class in order to not strain your new to you truck.

LD World- 150/ 1500

HD World- 2500/ 3500/ 4500/5500, etc
The HD world has 3 classes of trucks

• The light duty - 250/ 2500
• The Medium duty - 350/ 3500
• The heavy duty - 450/ 4500-550/ 5500

The way I see it, I wanted to overmatch my trucks performance as to what I’d haul to make it easy on the truck.

Sooooo much research.

Respectfully
Chris

I'm about to have to buy a truck at the worst time possible. It will be a new to me if l had to guess. I. Hoping to find something with low milea. I'm looking for a crew cab with a 6'+ bed. Anyone have what to stay away from. I've been in chevy for a long time and they've been good. I also like fords. Dodges scare me. Have dodge gotten better? I've had very bad luck with them. What motors and trans are good and which to avoid.
Im in comercial concrete. So it will get used like a tr7ck but l am managment so it wont be a daily tool hauler.

All input is appreciated.
GMC has Allison transmissions this year. Haven’t bought a new truck since ‘98 , but would consider GMC if I had to have one. End of the year Rebates should be HUGE with fuel prices and interest rates on the rise??

Back
Top Bottom