What Options Do I Have?

Black Magick

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
3   1
Reaction score
Ok, here's my dilemma. I'm gonna feel stupid after typing this, but here goes:

A friend of mine (ex-friend now) came to me last week about wanting to buy a firearm for his job. He works Security in an apartment complex in a bad area. He didn't have a gun to carry on the job, so he asked to buy one from me. I offered to sell him one for $400. He told me that he only had $200 and that he could pay me the rest at the end of the week (7/23) when he got his paycheck. I typed the Bill Of Sale and in it, I stated that he paid me $200 upfront, he'd take possession of the gun for work, but the other $200 was still due on 7/23/2010. He signed his name on the dotted line agreeing to that.

7/23 was two days ago and I still haven't received the other $200. Some of you may be saying "it's just been 2 days, be patient." Well, he was supposed to drop it off at my house on Friday, said he was on his way and never showed up. Said the same thing on Saturday and didn't show up. Today, he won't even return my call about it. I've been knowing the guy for a while, but had never dealt with him when it comes to money. I thought I could trust this guy, but obviously I was wrong. Especially since I told a somewhat mutual friend about this situation and he told me that the guy is very shady when it comes to money.

What can I do about this? I don't want this loser to think he got over on me. He signed his name in agreement to pay the other $200. But since I let him take possession of the gun while under this agreement, does that hurt me in any way? I thought about reporting it stolen if I didn't get the money by the end of tonight. But I don't know if I can legally do that in this situation. Is there anything I can do? I'm trying to keep from busting this guy's head.

This may be an unpopular question, but... Are all of your bases covered for a FTF transaction? If so, the legal recourse would be a small claims suit. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't know if you have any "repo" rights here.

You broke the cardinal rule. Don't loan someone something you can't afford to lose. Unfortunately he probably knew in advance this was going to happen. It's nothing more than a stall tactic. I would have been at his work Friday collecting in one fashion or another. You don't play loose games with firearms and I sure hope he didn't use it for ill intent.

Go talk to him and give him three choices:

1) Give gun back, get his $200 back
2) Keep gun, give you your $200 immediately - as in he and you go get $200 right then and there
3) Keep gun, you go to police and report it stolen

I don't think your friend understands that he's dealing with a firearm...not a stereo, a golf club or some other common type of item. It's a bit more serious to run off with someone's gun...and if I were a cop, I'd want to know that some jackass ripped off their buddy in a firearms deal. That would scream "ill intent" for the future use of that firearm to me.

Also, next time you do something like an installment agreement - part now, part later - always define the timing on the "part later" and the consequences if the timing for the "part later" aren't met. Then he can't keep saying "I'll pay you next week...I promise" and crap like that.

I'm curious to see if he even still has the gun - or if he resold it, pocketed the money and has now really screwed himself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom