What options do I have in looking for a Manual SUV/crossover?

hozjo

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
13   0
Reaction score
I've been mostly driving a MT v6 accord coupe the last 3 years and it's been a decent mix of a bit of fun to drive, but also practical, but it just isnt big enough for me any more. I'm looking to getting a MT suv/crossover, or possible "sport wagon" or even a very large sedan. But there just isnt a lot out there. I don't mind buying used, and actually prefer to this isn't an issue of cost as much to me as "value". I would be buying this car with cash, and it just seems wrong to me to take cash I could have in appreciating assets, and dump it in a depreciating one just so I can drive a "new car". I know the used car market is funky right now, and maybe the best thing to do would be to buy something new, but I'm not sure that is going to be the case in 2-3 months.

Things I care about in order of importance, after it being a manual:

1.) Not a jeep. Sorry fiat drivers, my sister owned a fiat and that was the worst experience I've had fixing cars. Also Jeeps drive like **** on roads. Yea, they do, if I was gonna buy a jeep it would be some early 90's ****box just for trail use, I don't want my teeth rattling as I'm going 55 on the freeway.

2.) Some pep, I'm not looking for a sports car, but I don't want some gutless vehicle that cant drive on atlanta freeways. Would like either a v6, or a turbo 4, but dont mind adding a turbo or supercharger if needed

3.) General reliability, with lower mileage if used. I don't mind working on cars, chjanging timing belts etc, but I want whatever to work every day when I need it to.

4.) Some offroad capability, I'm not looking to go rock hoppin in my DD, but rough dirt and gravel, definitely highly prefer 4wd or awd

5.) Actual usable size, 4 doors and 4 adults is a bare minimum,

6.) Kinda odd but with Joe Biden, fuel economy creeps in here towards the end.

The real problem is most everyone stopped making MT's well over a decade ago, and if they are being made, they are either in muscle cars, specific luxury vehicles, or like complete base model cars, oh yea or subarus.

I'm generally trying to keep this in the 20-30k range but would be fine going up to 40-50 if there was an actual reason to.

So far vehicles I have been keeping an eye on

Used Toyota FJ cruisers, the problem with them aside from being overvalued right now is the back seats are pretty claustrophobic, this is probably as small of a passenger compartment as I'd want to go, but I have been keeping an eye on lowish mileage MT FJ's. They did sell these in the US till 2014 which is nice.

Used Toyota 4 runners, they only made MT's up to 2000 here, which means good luck with low mileage, but these things are tanks, my brother has a 97 that's still going, and very off road capable. Also love the roll down back window on them.

Used BMW X3's with the 3.0 inline 6, think they stopped making manual x3's in 2010, and it seems hard to find low mileage ones because most people who would buy a manual x3, bought it because they wanted a manual and are driving it till it's a time bomb. Also obviously not anywhere near as off road capable but a better on road driving experience. I know they also made manual X5's till like 06 or something.

Used Porsche Cayenne GTS: can find these with manuals with the v8 up to 2009 maybe 10, but this is definitely one that I know is gonna have higher maintenance costs and fuel costs

Used Mazda cx5, what's nice is these were made up to 2019, but only in the base trim so you are going to have the smaller gutless engine.

Used Cadillac CTS with a manual transmission. I would generally prefer more a suv/crossover, but these are pretty big sedans and they made them to 2012 with a v6 (before having to get the blackwing)

New/Used Subaru Crosstrek, here I might go new on something like this as you can actually still get a MT and the new 2.5L engine instead of the 2.0, Not quite suv size but larger than a sedan, and a few years of not having to budget general maintenance/repair..

New 2022 Audi RS6 avant, not looking to buy one of these at 116k , but if you know anyone who would buy one for me if I sucked em off. I might be down.

Not sure if there is anything else I'm overlooking, or if anyone has any input on any of the things I'm thinking about.

I only read part of your post but I can tell you from working at the port of Brunswick that it's possible to get/order any model in the Subaru line with a manual transmission. It's actually a more popular option than I realized. Granted this info dates to 2018 before we moved back to Perry.
Aside from that I'm not aware of any other options. I also drove a lot of Hyundais and Kias at the port and never saw a manual in anything but base model Accents and Rios.

I only read part of your post but I can tell you from working at the port of Brunswick that it's possible to get/order any model in the Subaru line with a manual transmission. It's actually a more popular option than I realized. Granted this info dates to 2018 before we moved back to Perry.
Aside from that I'm not aware of any other options. I also drove a lot of Hyundais and Kias at the port and never saw a manual in anything but base model Accents and Rios.
Yea I've been like kinda leaning towards grabbing a Crosstrek with the 2.5 and putting a lift kit on it. I don't think you can get manual foresters anymore but might be interesting to see the last year you could, just crosstreks, imprezras, brzs and wrxs

Other option I forgot to mention is a new bronco, and I really like the new bronco. But **** me if I'm gonna buy a first year model vehicle, let alone a Ford. Saw what happened with the focus RS.

Yea I've been like kinda leaning towards grabbing a Crosstrek with the 2.5 and putting a lift kit on it. I don't think you can get manual foresters anymore but might be interesting to see the last year you could, just crosstreks, imprezras, brzs and wrxs

Other option I forgot to mention is a new bronco, and I really like the new bronco. But **** me if I'm gonna buy a first year model vehicle, let alone a Ford. Saw what happened with the focus RS.
I drove a LOT of Crosstreks and Foresters in 17/18. To ME the Crosstrek is kinda pointless. Not enough interior room and not small enough to get really high MPG. Granted they were still better quality than all the Hyundai and Kia models I drove but I would prefer the Forester. On a side note I like the looks of the Outback better than all of them. But I have never even sat in one. They're assembled in Indiana so we never got any of them at the port.
A few years back my old landlord asked what new car his wife should buy. I told him to get the Forester. Best deal for the price. She did and drove it 2 or 3 years. Then she asked me one day if she should take the local Subaru dealer's offer to trade for a new Outback. I said probably not but she's the kind of person that lives for a car payment.
IF... you could get a Highlander or a 4 Runner with a manual I would recommend that over all others. But I don't think you can.

I don't have much input as far as the manual transmission options, but if you were looking at Subaru I'd personally recommend almost any other model over the Crosstrek.

My girlfriend was set on either a Subaru or a Toyota 4runner. We looked at the Crosstrek, Ascent, Forester, and Outback. She immediately ruled out the Crosstrek as being too small and I agreed. I'm 6'0 and around 195 lbs and I was uncomfortable in a Crosstrek. She ended up with a '17 Outback and has been very happy with the size and the gas mileage. I can't count how many times since she has said, "Thank God I didn't get the Crosstrek."

I value comfort right up there with reliability. If I am at all uncomfortable while test driving a vehicle, I don't care what else it has going for it, I don't want it.

Back
Top Bottom