• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What level of accuracy do insist on for a deer rifle?

Minimum acceptable accuracy for you out of a deer rifle?

• 1 MOA

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 2 MOA

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • 3 MOA

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 4 MOA

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Minute of pie plate

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I don't care, spray and pray is how I roll.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
Tell me more about the .243?
It's a Vanguard VGX 80's vintage. I'm very confident it was bought new by my father and given to me as a gift around the same time it was purchased. If you saw it, you'd swear it's never been out of the box. A couple years ago, with some 'encouragement' from a brother, I got a live cartridge caught in the chamber and couldn't extract it. It was the first time I had taken the rifle out to shoot it (yep, I'm one of 'those guys'.) Unfortunately I took it to a local 'gunsmith' (along with my father's personal deer rifle) and the guy did an absolute hatchet job on both. :censored: He screwed up the sides of the receiver so bad the bolt wouldn't travel and close (I brought it to him without the bolt). Then he denied it. I had to take it to AO (everybody's favorite) to get the metal work done. Weekend before last was the next time I finally got it out and the resulting inaccuracies ensued. I was worried the previously mentioned butcher had done something not readily visible to affect the accuracy. For example I could have SWORN I saw a scratch/gouge in the bore a few inches from the muzzle but don't see it anymore(I need a better bore light.) After spending an inexplicable 5 hours cleaning it (and just giving up when it was STILL dirty) and noticing the muzzle end of the rifling looks too shallow, I began to doubt everything. Thankfully, yesterday I was able to get it close to an inch (with factory loads) as mentioned above in pretty breezy conditions so am satisfied that I won't have to ditch a gift from my departed father. I'll hunt with it this year, just because.

It's a Vanguard VGX 80's vintage. I'm very confident it was bought new by my father and given to me as a gift around the same time it was purchased. If you saw it, you'd swear it's never been out of the box. A couple years ago, with some 'encouragement' from a brother, I got a live cartridge caught in the chamber and couldn't extract it. It was the first time I had taken the rifle out to shoot it (yep, I'm one of 'those guys'.) Unfortunately I took it to a local 'gunsmith' (along with my father's personal deer rifle) and the guy did an absolute hatchet job on both. :censored: He screwed up the sides of the receiver so bad the bolt wouldn't travel and close (I brought it to him without the bolt). Then he denied it. I had to take it to AO (everybody's favorite) to get the metal work done. Weekend before last was the next time I finally got it out and the resulting inaccuracies ensued. I was worried the previously mentioned butcher had done something not readily visible to affect the accuracy. For example I could have SWORN I saw a scratch/gouge in the bore a few inches from the muzzle but don't see it anymore(I need a better bore light.) After spending an inexplicable 5 hours cleaning it (and just giving up when it was STILL dirty) and noticing the muzzle end of the rifling looks too shallow, I began to doubt everything. Thankfully, yesterday I was able to get it close to an inch (with factory loads) as mentioned above in pretty breezy conditions so am satisfied that I won't have to ditch a gift from my departed father. I'll hunt with it this year, just because.
Every time you poast, I read it in the voice of Justin Wilson.
JSYK

I'm gonna put down the .308 and 30-06 this year and hunt strictly ar15. If I can't shoot sub moa and feel good about the head shot I don't pull the trigger. I used to hunt with a .221 fireball. It was a deer slayer but I was a decent shot with that gun and I don't shoot further than 150-200 yards.

Back
Top Bottom