• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What level of accuracy do insist on for a deer rifle?

Minimum acceptable accuracy for you out of a deer rifle?

• 1 MOA

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 2 MOA

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • 3 MOA

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 4 MOA

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Minute of pie plate

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I don't care, spray and pray is how I roll.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
4" at 200 yards from hunting stance would be interesting. I bet the fail rate would shock a lot of folks.
Yes. I shot it with a group of 6.8SPC guys and it was a good challenge. I did hit it at 300m with my Ruger AR, but from prone with a rear wedge bag. And it wadn't the ferst shot neider.
Most everyone else hit it too, but everyone opted for prone, if I recall.

At least tell me you run a dry patch through it. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.... :shocked:
Just took this of my .308. Sweet dreams lol
image.jpg

Cleaning is overrated, I don't clean my comp rifles until 270-300 rounds and I won't clean my hunting rifle until the end of season unless I hunt in a torrential downpour or get the rifle muddy but then I would shoot it again before the next hunt. Most People zero their rifles fouled correct? Your cold bore and your clean cold bore are totally different from the rest of your zero. If you have a sub MOA rifle it should be within a 1/4 of an inch or so point of impact from the rest of your normal zero group.

Btw I voted sub MOA, once I get a load less than an inch on a hunting rifle I call it quits on load development.

Cleaning is overrated, I don't clean my comp rifles until 270-300 rounds and I won't clean my hunting rifle until the end of season unless I hunt in a torrential downpour or get the rifle muddy but then I would shoot it again before the next hunt. Most People zero their rifles fouled correct? Your cold bore and your clean cold bore are totally different from the rest of your zero. If you have a sub MOA rifle it should be within a 1/4 of an inch or so point of impact from the rest of your normal zero group.

Btw I voted sub MOA, once I get a load less than an inch on a hunting rifle I call it quits on load development.
In every benchrest match I ever shot in or watched, it was one fouler, then 10 rounds for score (with perhaps another sighter or two depending on conditions) then clean. Repeat. I used to think those guys went overboard with things (consistency lot numbers of every single component, absolutely meticulous about reloading sequence and procedure etc), but their results said otherwise.

That's benchrest, not hunting, their scores are decided by fractions of an inch. Big difference on a bench rest match which can take all day to shoot 20 rounds and a precision rifle match where you shoot 200+ rounds in two days.

Back
Top Bottom