• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What is your .45 personal defense round preference?

I'm a fan of the Hornady Critical Defense. I've shot it into wetpack through multiple layers of denim, heavy cotton and even a phone book and it's always expanded picture perfect.

That day I also tried some of the 'classic' HP ammo (Speer and Ranger if I remember right), and in both cases I had at least one round that clogged up and turned into ball ammo. I never found those since they blew through all the wetpack and continued downrange, but that's the only thing that could explain their sudden ability to over-penetrate like that.

I would also think the poly-tip would help feeding, not hinder it.

I believe most of the concern with Critical defense / Critical Duty is that the polymer tips hinder cycling when hitting the feedramp - obviously, angles and tolerances vary; I'm no expert, did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but it would make sense to me that the polymer tip has more potential to slow the forward movement (a binding effect) - Think eraser on metal compared to brass on metal.

I believe most of the concern with Critical defense / Critical Duty is that the polymer tips hinder cycling when hitting the feedramp - obviously, angles and tolerances vary; I'm no expert, did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but it would make sense to me that the polymer tip has more potential to slow the forward movement (a binding effect) - Think eraser on metal compared to brass on metal.
in a 1911 yes in a glock..no worries

I guess I would have thought of it exactly the opposite... The cavities on a lot of these 45 HP's are huge, and it leaves the bullet with kind of a flat-face. I could see those edges getting caught on a feed ramp or mag lip, where I would have expected the polymer tips to work more like ball-ammo.

Could very well be though, I only shoot 1911s for fun and all my tests were done with my XDs.

ive had problems with primers or duds with rem gold sabre..not reliable IMHO

Funny, I've run 'em in two or three Smith Revolvers that have had pretty decent Trigger Jobs done to 'em--That usually entails using REDUCED-power Springs--And I have NEVER had the first problem with 'em--What kinda' Gun were you shootin' 'em out of?

Back
Top Bottom