What is this? It's big!

View attachment 1803429 Compare it to the size of the bricks.

HHD

I take it that you're not from around these parts.

Like others have said, These are "Writing spiders" or the proper name is Yellow Argiope Spider (I think). Catch a bug and throw it in her web for some entertainment. When I was young I got in trouble for bringing one to school in a shoe box.

There are several on my property right now along with many of the normal orb spiders.

Funny/creepy story: In the 90s I was riding through the woods in a truck with some of my friends. It was night and we ran through several orb spider webs along the trail. I was on the passenger side and had the window down with my arm propped out. I noticed a tickle on my neck and grabbed the area and came off with a handful. It was a large orb spider that has crawled up the truck, through my shirt sleeve and onto my neck. I threw it in the floor of the truck, the driver hit the interior light and the guy in the middle freaked out stomping the spider. I get the creeps just thinking about the feeling of that thing crawling up my neck.

They're just a bit smaller than the writing spiders at about the size of a half-dollar. here's what it looked like.
z6499OrbWeaver2.jpg

took this one a week or so ago...Same?

View attachment 1803644

Yep, that's one for sure. I think they are the largest spider in the southeast US. (I may be wrong)

and they have some really special adhesive on those webs, it sticks to your face !!

Fun fact: Hummingbirds seek out those webs to use as a expandable material to help build their nests. As the babies get bigger, the nest stretches to fit their size.

Normal size I see them bigger than that in the woods.

Got one and its web caught on the driver side mirror while going down a grown over woods road. The yellow flys were attacking the truck and would get caught in the mangled web within a few minutes she had a little web rebuilt and about 15 flys all bound up and tucked under her belly. It was pretty cool to watch from the safety of the cab.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Screenshot_20180927-215427.png
20171003_224539.jpg
This is one we had on our front porch last year. We made sure to leave the light on so she had plenty to eat. She had 3 egg sacks.

I've always called them garden spiders. They always seemed to be around the tomato plants. They're good ones too keep around.

Those yellow garden spiders are harmless when they're young adults like that, the size of a .45 ACP round, but they never stop growing as long as they live. If somehow it survives 5 or 6 seasons, it will be as big as a cucumber and can make a web that will trap a kid that tries to ride through it on his or her bicycle. At that size they can kill small pets, and suck the juices out of them..

(not really, but it makes a thought-provoking tall tale, eh?)

Those yellow garden spiders are harmless when they're young adults like that, the size of a .45 ACP round, but they never stop growing as long as they live. If somehow it survives 5 or 6 seasons, it will be as big as a cucumber and can make a web that will trap a kid that tries to ride through it on his or her bicycle. At that size they can kill small pets, and suck the juices out of them..

(not really, but it makes a thought-provoking tall tale, eh?)

Hahahaha!!

Back
Top Bottom