• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is everyone using on crimped primers pockets???

I also looked at the RCBS swage and Dillon. I ended up using an existing hand held Holland's primer pocket uniformer. Removed the cutting end and put it in a drill. Did a couple hundred 7.62 x 51 in short order. No extra money spent. It worked great.

I have an RCBS Swage die set but lately have been doing high volume of 223, wasn't fast enough so I switched to Frankford platinum series series using Lyman primer pocket reaming bits. Fast and it works great.
This is the elegant solution. You are only using the 5.56 brass for a few firings anyway. Cut the crimps away. Works for me.

hand swagers work but from my experiences they need to be followed up with a chamfer tool to better "funnel" the primer into place. These will kill your fingers too... im really looking into getting a case prep station that will allow me to do both quickly.

That is why I skip the swagger, and go straight to the chamfer tool mounted in a drill for fast cutting. You just have to be careful not to cut too much.

I actually just bought one of the rcbs bench tool swagers. It seems like it’s doing a great job. I did 500 rounds a couple days ago and haven’t had an issue with 1 primer pocket.

That is why I skip the swagger, and go straight to the chamfer tool mounted in a drill for fast cutting. You just have to be careful not to cut too much.
I don’t disagree with this. I used only a chamfer for a long time but my fingers didn’t appreciate it. Drill is key!

I use the RCBS bench top tool, works good for me. I need to order the inline fabrication quick change plate for it. Right now I just bolt it into threaded inserts sunk into my secondary bench.

Dillon is the only way to go, well, for me anyway. Someone really needs to make a cheap knockoff of that tool. (Sorry Dillon! It's just so dang expensive.)

The RCBS press-mounted tool was fidgety, and kept breaking rods. For me, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom