• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if the SHTF and I'm 12 hours from home????

You are probably screwed in a true SHTF scenario (nukl'er WWIII, gray goo, aliun invasum, etc.) where the best course is to go to ground and hide. But for a regional disaster/disruption (hurricane, blizzard, epidemic etc.), your odds by being mobile are pretty good. You'll be away from where it occurs or you can rapidly move away from it. Either way you'd be more prepared than most to travel.

I didn't read that you needed to come back to a specific location because of family/kids. If so... you are back to screwed because it doubles your probability of being caught out and narrows your options.

The most likely thing to occur in the near term is a gradual erosion of infrastructure and security, not "Mad Max", but probably Mexico (or Africa in the cities). So your consideration should be atuned to that, and generalized preparation.

You are probably screwed in a true SHTF scenario (nukl'er WWIII, gray goo, aliun invasum, etc.) where the best course is to go to ground and hide. But for a regional disaster/disruption (hurricane, blizzard, epidemic etc.), your odds by being mobile are pretty good. You'll be away from where it occurs or you can rapidly move away from it. Either way you'd be more prepared than most to travel.

I didn't read that you needed to come back to a specific location because of family/kids. If so... you are back to screwed because it doubles your probability of being caught out and narrows your options.

The most likely thing to occur in the near term is a gradual erosion of infrastructure and security, not "Mad Max", but probably Mexico (or Africa in the cities). So your consideration should be atuned to that, and generalized preparation.

I completely agree with your logic, I realize that I'll be in a bad way when it comes to making it home but, make no mistake about it...I'll get there one way or the other. I have no illusions when it comes to the difficulties that I may encounter. I'm not really the type to hide but I do definitely believe in the grey man theory, in that line of thinking, I'm trying to determine what items would be best for me to have in my GHB...

I plan in this order:
1: Water (storage in the form of a bladder and bottle and filter.)
2: Food (enough for 4 days of sustained movement.)
3: Clothing (socks and underwear take precedence, followed by seasonal clothing.)
4: Fire (eventually my onboard food will run out and I'll have to cook, plus boiling is an alternative to purifying water.)
5: Knives (both a good fixed blade and a folding knife plus a multitool.)
6: Shelter (at a minimum a small tarp, I toss a stripped down bivy kit in the vehicle during colder weather.)
7: First Aid.
8: Firearm (yes, this is the last major item of my GHB. Even though I always have a pistol handy, carrying a lot of firepower is actually pretty low on my priority list. I want to get home, I have my EDC, I don't want to engage in firefights and plan to travel accordingly.)

I agree with every bit of this but one and that only slightly disagree. First socks and underwear....definite NEED, not luxury. Change frequently, wash in every creek and air dry. Second as a shelter consider a fleece blanket and large Lawn and Leaf trash bag. Water proof, wind proof, rugged and lightweight. Carry two and one can be slit down one side to make a shelter fly leaving the other for a sleeping bag. Or make arm and leg holes and use for additional poncho. Remember, multi-use and redundancy are the keys to survival. Everything should have more than one use and you should have at least two ways to do everything(fire being one job you need as many ways to make as possible). OH! The reason I say a fleece is because the "acrylic" fleece is made of a polymer and is amazing at trapping heat against the skin. It's also very light weight and compacts to a relatively tiny package. Being polymer and not natural fiber it is simple to rinse out, wring out and air dry quickly as well. And, as long as you don't get it close to fire, it is pretty durable. IMO, the fleece blanket is one of the best inventions on the planet. LOL. Back when I was in the army we would put on out field jacket with liner and still be cold some times. But if we put that liner under our T-shirt, then put the uniform on and the field jacket on we'd have to be careful not to overheat. The field jacket liner was a nylon(synthetic) thin affair with a little bit of batting quilted into it. But against the skin it was like being in a thermos bottle.

My disagreement is putting a gun in your BoB/GHB. A simple smash and grab and you are unarmed as well as unsupplied. Secure your weapon with concealment and some form of locking device. My GHB is seat belted in the seat behind my drivers seat but my guns are hidden in safe and cable away from the GHB.

I completely agree with your logic, I realize that I'll be in a bad way when it comes to making it home but, make no mistake about it...I'll get there one way or the other. I have no illusions when it comes to the difficulties that I may encounter. I'm not really the type to hide but I do definitely believe in the grey man theory, in that line of thinking, I'm trying to determine what items would be best for me to have in my GHB...

My big worry is never me getting home. It's my wife being safe until I do. That and her believing that I am coming, not matter what.

I agree with every bit of this but one and that only slightly disagree. First socks and underwear....definite NEED, not luxury. Change frequently, wash in every creek and air dry. Second as a shelter consider a fleece blanket and large Lawn and Leaf trash bag. Water proof, wind proof, rugged and lightweight. Carry two and one can be slit down one side to make a shelter fly leaving the other for a sleeping bag. Or make arm and leg holes and use for additional poncho. Remember, multi-use and redundancy are the keys to survival. Everything should have more than one use and you should have at least two ways to do everything(fire being one job you need as many ways to make as possible). OH! The reason I say a fleece is because the "acrylic" fleece is made of a polymer and is amazing at trapping heat against the skin. It's also very light weight and compacts to a relatively tiny package. Being polymer and not natural fiber it is simple to rinse out, wring out and air dry quickly as well. And, as long as you don't get it close to fire, it is pretty durable. IMO, the fleece blanket is one of the best inventions on the planet. LOL. Back when I was in the army we would put on out field jacket with liner and still be cold some times. But if we put that liner under our T-shirt, then put the uniform on and the field jacket on we'd have to be careful not to overheat. The field jacket liner was a nylon(synthetic) thin affair with a little bit of batting quilted into it. But against the skin it was like being in a thermos bottle.

My disagreement is putting a gun in your BoB/GHB. A simple smash and grab and you are unarmed as well as unsupplied. Secure your weapon with concealment and some form of locking device. My GHB is seat belted in the seat behind my drivers seat but my guns are hidden in safe and cable away from the GHB.

Socks and underwear are definitely a need. No argument there. When I came up with my kit at first I was just tossing stuff in a bag, then a pack. I finally came up with a prioritized list. What I posted is how I prioritize.

I absolutely agree about the use of a lockbox. I don't use one all the time but I make it a point to have one when I travel as well as when I go to questionable locations. I need to work on that more.

1. Be physically fit
2. You will need a full BOB/ INCH bag if you are states away
3. It will take 24-48hrs for **** to start getting bad if a disaster is called
4. Make friends where ever you can, having a safe place to crash at is nice
5. Have knee, and ankle braces in your kit
I have basic first aid equipment but I never thought about having knee and ankle braces...good call! Noted!

I have basic first aid equipment but I never thought about having knee and ankle braces...good call! Noted!
And cut resistant gloves. I also keep a pry bar and bolt cutters in my truck. SHTF you never know what you may have to get into. Those 2 tools are the master lock keys for most everything.

You might want to toss in two tourniquets and 2-3 H bandage. Carry benedryll and goldbonds powder as well.
Why tq's and h gause? Because gunfights arent always one sided. That or you might have to help people

Back
Top Bottom